Author Topic: Bow string length?  (Read 1512 times)

Offline nclonghunter

Bow string length?
« on: March 12, 2014, 10:27:22 pm »
If you make your own bow strings, is there a way to determine the length to start with? For example your bow is 68" nock to nock, how much longer should the string be cut for that bow. Finished strings on my bows are usually around 4" from the upper nock when tied onto the bottom nock. I am guessing take the length of nock to nock and add 10" to both ends. Is that enough to tie in a Flemish end and then a tie on the bottom nock loop?

Any ideas or methods would be appreciated, Thanks.
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline bow101

Re: Bow string length?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 10:40:05 pm »
4" seems to be par,  but I find that depending on the reflex and deflex if any that 4" is not standard.  I did that with one bow and I had to go closer to 6".  I shoot for about a 6 1/2" brace height seems to do me just fine.  Just tie a bowyers knot on one end.  10" to both ends should do it.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2014, 11:58:58 pm »
A lot of people have a string jig that measures out the strands and tapers them.  I haven't made one of those yet but I want to.  I measure the strands out and add 12" to each end.  I always end up cutting  a few inches off when I finish the bottom loop.  I make the double loop flemish strings.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2014, 12:05:52 am »
If you google "flemish string jig" you will find lots of plans for making a jig.  I made a simple one out of a couple of scraps of plywood and finish nails.
Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2014, 12:07:56 am »
I think 10" is a good starting post. You can adjust that on the next couple of strings as you get experience. I've been making strings for a long time(Flemish loop on top, bowers knot below) and still end up cutting off plenty of excess...but I'm a slow leaner.  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline adb

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2014, 01:12:52 am »
Better to cut a bit off than end up with a useless string which is too short  ;)