Author Topic: rematch me and osage  (Read 5990 times)

Offline H Rhodes

Re: rematch me and osage
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2014, 05:55:01 pm »
I agree with Sidewinder.  It might be best to just set that one aside for a while.  I am learning to keep lots of staves on hand, to try and keep properly dried bow wood on hand.  If you are hell bent on that one, rough it on out to floor tiller, seal it up good and set it aside for a couple of months or so.  My favorite spot to dry one like that is under the bed.  My wife has such a beautiful lilt to her voice when she stubs her toe on one or hits it with the vacuum cleaner.... :D 
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
Re: rematch me and osage
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2014, 06:15:54 pm »
Make sure when you are using your draw knife to chase a ring that the proper side is being used. It should be used upside down. I know it looks backwards but it's not. Here's a copy of your picture with part of it erased showing the ring you should chase. Later you may want to go one ring deeper because the top center of the ring looks like it's already been drawn too deep. Don't remove any more from the belly until you're sure how that ring looks on top.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.