Author Topic: chokecherry bark  (Read 3033 times)

Offline Josh B

chokecherry bark
« on: November 17, 2011, 12:11:15 pm »
 Has anybody ever left the bark on a chokecherry bow?  I plan on sanding it down to inner bark, but I don't  know  if it will  stay on or start lifting in time.  Any insight would be appreciated.   
Thanx, Josh

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: chokecherry bark
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2011, 12:17:52 pm »
Josh, I've added choke cherry bark to a few bows. I think you will be safer to add the bark instead of using what is on the stave. I would rather know for sure that the bark has adhered properly to the bow. If the bark gives or breaks it can go down into the bow itself.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Josh B

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011, 06:27:09 pm »
Thanx pat, that's exactly what I'm concerned about.  I harvested several staves so I might give it a shot on one of them anyway.  You're  advice is well taken though.  Next summer I will harvest some more and remove the bark while it will  still come off.  Thanx,  Josh

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2011, 01:36:13 am »
Collect the outter bark for trade items. I'm always looking for good cherry bark for backing...the more lichens and mosses the better.  ;)  Makes great camo on your bow!
 The naked bark is very beautiful also.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Josh B

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2011, 04:10:53 pm »
I will definitely keep that in mind! ;)  Thanks, Josh

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2014, 05:39:23 pm »
Hey Josh, just wondering if you ever did try leaving the bark on one of these staves, and if so, how did it hold up?

Just curious because I have a couple saplings that have been seasoning for a couple years.  I  love the look of the bark backing, but I think if I tried to remove it now, I'd likely destroy it.

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2014, 05:51:36 pm »
How does one harvest the cherry bark? Like black cherry bark backing I have saw. Is it little flakes?
Nothing ventured nothing gained