Author Topic: Midas touch Minnesota Osage (red elm)  (Read 3229 times)

Offline DuBois

Re: Midas touch Minnesota Osage (red elm)
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2014, 12:23:08 pm »
Hey Josh,
Bummer on the tough day. It seems we are not alone in havin them ::)

I am envious of the shooting day you all got. Snow here is over to my daughters head (no joke at all) and we are single digits and negative zero overnight at least until March.

I been itchin to get outdoors more and the kids are gettin VERY squirrely. They seem to think I'm a tree to climb all over  ;D

Offline paoliguy

« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2014, 01:02:45 pm »
Those are some cool quivers those younguns' have there! No better way to salvage a bad day than shooting with the kids!

Offline bubby

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2014, 01:36:33 pm »
to bad about the bows Josh, but good times with family means everything, great looking kids
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2014, 02:54:29 pm »
thanks for sharing your trouble Josh. It is nice to know Gun Doc has bad days too.  I just had frets developed on a cascara hollow limb design I put a lot of time into. 
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline Josh B

« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2014, 11:45:55 am »
Thanks fellas!  Shooting with my kids definitely lifted my spirits.   Hey Carson,  did you take any pics of those frets?  I'm still trying to get my head wrapped around how the HLD distributes the tension and compression forces.  Pics of frets and failures will tell a lot in that regard.  Josh

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2014, 11:53:51 pm »
  Sounds like someone was telling you to go shooting with the kids ;)

Offline Josh B

« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2014, 12:11:24 am »
  Sounds like someone was telling you to go shooting with the kids ;)

Yes Sir!  That's the view I've taken on the matter.  I eventually realized it was a gentle nudge towards getting my priorities straight.   

Rich,  Moyra said she'd give you her sisters coyote quiver, but you can't have her skunk!  Lol!  I think she meant it!  Josh

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2014, 02:06:16 am »
Yeah, sometimes you just have to get out and go shooting with the kids.   :)

Here are those frets.  Not very good pics.  This is right out of the fade just handle side of a spot I left a little stiff.   :(

Interestingly the frets wrap around to the back of the bow too.  My first mistake was attempting this design with cascara.   ::)

"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline Josh B

« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2014, 12:33:47 pm »
Thanks for the pics Carson!   I appreciate it.   Your pics and Simson's pics are showing nearly identical stress failures.  My original hypothesis on how the design works was no where near to even close to accurate.  It looks to me as though the HLD has some limitations as to how far around the sides can wrap.   That's good to know.  Thanks again!  Josh