Author Topic: Tri-lam Mollegabet  (Read 9025 times)

Offline bobnewboy

• https://www.flickr.com/photos/bob_d14/
    • The Company of Sixty Field Archers
Re: Tri-lam Mollegabet
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2014, 09:18:11 am »
The only two Mollegabet style bows I have made were quick.  I made the levers a triangular section in both, so that they had the depth/thickness to resist bending, but less mass even than plain narrow tips.  That is, the back of the bow is one side of the triangle, and the sides of the bow make up the other two.  It seemed to work for me.
"The Englishman takes great pride in his liberty. He values this gift more than all the joys of life, and would sacrifice everything to retain it. The populace would have you understand there is no country in the world where such perfect freedom can be enjoyed, as in England!" Frenchman, London 1719

Offline adb

« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2014, 10:17:32 am »
A bow should NOT have recoil..... ;)
No matter what the design is. Adb - these bows wether made or hazel or ipe should not have any handshock...
Regarding thickness of the levers - 1/8th thicker is ample to make them static. Picture your working limbs.....if you had left a section that was an 1/8th thicker would you expect that spot to be working!?

I agree. A properly made bow of any design should have minimal or no handshock.

Offline Wooden Spring

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2014, 10:29:38 am »
"I agree. A properly made bow of any design should have minimal or no handshock."

I never said it was PROPERLY made... Just that it was MADE.   ;)
Nah, I think the next one with really minimalist levers is going to be much better...

I love the idea of a triangular cross section on the levers too... That will make them lighter, but be stiffer to resist bending. LOVE IT!

Thanks for all the comments folks. That's how we build better bows - more minds in the game means less mistakes we have to make and learn from!
"Everything that moves shall be food for you..." Genesis 9:3

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2014, 11:10:25 am »
You are likely already DONE with this bow, ...but just to add something else to consider, even in this Tri-Lam configuration, I would think you could 'TRAP' the hickory back a bit to reduce the compression strain on the too thin belly lam.

OneBow

blackhawk

« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2014, 11:40:25 am »
If your happy with it and it makes ya smile then cool,and that's all that matters....so I'll leave my two cents in my pocket  8)

Offline Wooden Spring

« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2014, 12:16:32 pm »
OK, so taking all the comments into consideration, here's my thoughts on my next attempt...

1) Levers will be reduced to: 10" long and 1/2" wide at the fades, tapered to 1/4" at the tips, and be 5/8" thick at the fades tapered to 7/16" at the tip, with a tip overlay for the string groove.

2) hard lines will be removed, and instead the back will be a series of smooth curves.

3) Hickory backing over a belly wood yet to be determined - NO core lamination

4) bow will be 68" tip to tip

Something like this sketch...

Offline huisme

• I'm Marc, but not that Marc.
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2014, 05:39:06 pm »
Looks pretty good to me, though I thought (don't take my word for it) one of the distinguishing features of a mollegabet was the flat/no-taper working limbs. Looks like a holme/molle hybrid. A holmollegardet?

I establish the side profile of the levers and then work down the thickness bit by bit to be sure I'm not going to fold them over while reducing mass as much as possible. Just a thought ;)
50#@26"
Black locust. Black locust everywhere.
Mollegabets all day long.
Might as well make them short, save some wood to keep warm.

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2014, 07:36:15 pm »
Looks good, but a lot of what has been said would make it better!
Frank from Germany...

Offline ajooter

« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2014, 08:02:57 pm »

Offline bushboy

« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2014, 08:35:58 pm »
Here's a hickory lever with most of the fat trimmed!shoots quite fast with no hand shock.I really like this design for performance!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline ajooter

« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2014, 08:44:13 pm »
Whoops thats the one!  Damn phone screens!! Both great bows.  That hickory looks fast!

Offline bushboy

« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2014, 08:58:00 pm »
This is based on a tim baker design.eiffel tower bow.at least my take on it.
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline ohma2

« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2014, 09:11:44 pm »
Great job man and I wholeheartedlly agree with blackhawk!

Offline Wooden Spring

« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2014, 09:24:21 am »
Looks pretty good to me, though I thought (don't take my word for it) one of the distinguishing features of a mollegabet was the flat/no-taper working limbs. Looks like a holme/molle hybrid. A holmollegardet?

I establish the side profile of the levers and then work down the thickness bit by bit to be sure I'm not going to fold them over while reducing mass as much as possible. Just a thought ;)

You're probably right... It's really hard for me to find much information on this bow. (The google-fu is weak with this one) So my take on it was to lay out a typical pyramid bow like I normally would, but then reduce the tips.

I assumed that since the distinguishing characteristc of this bow was the stiff levers, and the shape of the bending limb tends to define it's draw weight, so those could be of any functional design.

By doing it this way, it kept the final poundage of the bow predictable for me since it has basically the same shape and working length of my pyramid bows, but since the tips are forced not to bend, it makes the bow limb analogous to swinging a baseball bat versus swinging a foam pool noodle. The baseball bat is a still, massive lever, and the pool noodle is a light and flexible lever. The stiff and massive lever is faster than the pool noodle.

Offline Rcdeer

• Old School..selfbows an flintlocks
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2014, 02:08:31 pm »
great job!   love it!
A Promise Made is a Debt Unpaid
..Upstate N.Y.