Author Topic: Wild Boar as bait  (Read 2610 times)

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
Wild Boar as bait
« on: February 23, 2014, 12:21:35 am »
A friend caught about a 150 lb boar in a trap. She asked if I wanted it so I said sure. I took it out to the woods and set 9 foot hold traps around him. I killed a boar out there a few years ago and within a day and a half there wasn't anything but bones and a small piece of skin.

Anyone ever try this?

Last year I saw a coyote run across the highway as I drove. I looked in the field across the highway and I counted 12 coyotes. I had pulled over and recorded a short video with my phone. It was three hours after sunrise and they had been feasting on a road killed spike all night long. It was the most amazing sight I had ever seen. I was also surprised at how unwilling they were to leaving the spike that was only two yards off the highway.

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline seabass

Re: Wild Boar as bait
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2014, 01:58:31 am »
any meat is good bait.you and Diego could go back at night and shoot coyotes off that hog.people around here kill a deer then hunt the gut pile at night.lots of coyotes around here.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline 4dog

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2014, 09:03:38 am »
Cip,, maybe it had something to do with the crazy drought we been in for yrs??
"SET" is always there !!!

Offline criveraville

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2014, 11:58:25 am »
Well we didn't get anything, but Diego and I covered the boar up with a tarp so the buzzards don't get caught.

We will go back at dusk and uncover it and check it before school in the morning.

I'm going to try and find me some snares and set them up near by as well. I now have 10 traps total around that hog.

I'm also going to put some of that strong skunk lure out I got from Greg.

I do think the drought had had something to do with how brazen the coyotes are.

Early in rifle season Diego shot a buck on a morning. We gutted it 20 from our camp in the cedars. When we returned at about 4PM there was nothing but cud there on the ground. They even ate the stomach and left the contents there. They even lapped up the blood. That too I had never seen before.
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2014, 12:48:39 pm »
Ol' Mr Coyote works hard to keep alive, he doesn't like to waste much, does he?

Folks been trying to shoot, trap, poison, snare, or otherwise drive him outa the country for well over 100 years and there are just as many coyotes now as there ever was.  What does that tell you about their tenacity, intelligence, adaptability, and sheer force of will?Some folks get upset with him for taking chickens and the like, but he's just adapting to a changed environment. 

Be careful that your sets are done right the very first time.  Anything that doesn't get him right away just serves to school him to better avoid your next set.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline adb

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2014, 03:21:07 pm »
Coyotes and ravens eating dead deer in the ditch around here all winter long.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2014, 08:14:18 pm »
Ol' Mr Coyote works hard to keep alive, he doesn't like to waste much, does he?

Folks been trying to shoot, trap, poison, snare, or otherwise drive him outa the country for well over 100 years and there are just as many coyotes now as there ever was.  What does that tell you about their tenacity, intelligence, adaptability, and sheer force of will?Some folks get upset with him for taking chickens and the like, but he's just adapting to a changed environment. 

Be careful that your sets are done right the very first time.  Anything that doesn't get him right away just serves to school him to better avoid your next set.

Yep, never saw any in Florida when I was growing up and now you can't go anywhere without seeing one. They are even eating watermelons on the farms down here.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline criveraville

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2014, 09:39:33 pm »
I went back and set 11 snares around the boar leading to it on the trails. As we were finishing up we heard the coyotes howling near by at 6:30PM.

Diego's little friend came along and he said his dad had shot a 22 shotgun. It was funny. The kiddo really enjoyed the outing..

I'm hoping for multiple coyotes in the morning. I also hung a trapped opossum in a nearby mesquite.  :o

Cipriano

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2014, 01:30:36 am »
Cip, I  would not set my traps that close to the bait but back quite aways on the trails coming to your bait, Make sure an stay back away from everything when you check your sets, They might be hungry but don.t underestimate there intelligence and there will to survive. Good Luck  Bob

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2014, 11:49:23 am »
A guy told me that they get the little lights that come out of flashlights and rig them with a battery to burn without the cover around them. They then put the light a few feet behind the bait and back off a ways with a rifle. After dark the coyote will come into the bait and will be silhouetted in front of the light. That's when they shoot them. Hope that made sense, I have never tried it but sounded like it could work.

He said they would bait several locations with the light behind, then move to different bait locations checking for movement around the bait. Not sure if a red bulb would work or not.
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2014, 01:15:35 pm »
When my Uncle was in the Air Force in Texas he and some buddies would go out to San Padre Island and fish for coyotes. They would camp in the Dunes and bait up deep sea fishing rods with chunks of meat and cast them over the back of the dunes, set the clicker on the rods and wait for it to go off. They'ed reel them in and then shoot them with a .22.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline criveraville

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2014, 01:29:32 pm »
Nada again..

Offline rileyconcrete

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2014, 11:33:38 pm »
the coyotes around here wont eat off an animal if there is human scent present.  Make sure you wear gloves and rubber boots.  They wont even touch a gut pile if you have left any scent.  we always "mark" our territory when we leave meat over night.  Never had a problem.

Good Luck!

Tell
Tell Riley

Offline Dharma

• Kayenta, AZ
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2014, 01:25:28 am »
I was living in Hollywood (Los Angeles, not Florida) and saw a coyote walking down Franklin Avenue. That's only a block up from Hollywood Blvd. Lots of coyotes in the Hollywood Hills area. The biggest raccoon I ever saw was in Hollywood, living in the courtyard of the apartment building I lived in. Plus skunks. Took the trash out one night and bingo---froze a foot away from a skunk. Some recent immigrants from Central Asia wanted to know where to get those cats that have the white stripe. When told those were skunks and what a skunk was, they refused to believe it. They thought we were having fun at their expense. But once one got sprayed, they believed it.
An arrow knows only the life its maker breathes into it...