Author Topic: Time to get working on my first non-board bow!  (Read 1721 times)

Offline Bitterguy

Time to get working on my first non-board bow!
« on: February 23, 2014, 05:18:02 pm »
I got myself a ~2" shagbark hickory (1.5" on one side 2.5" on the other) and I'm ready to rough it out and debark it!

The only problem is I don't know 1. If my dimensions will work and 2. What "Roughing out" is!

The dimensions i had in mind were a pyramid bow 75" long and about 1 1/8" thick at about 45# with a 1 1/2" wide and 4" long handle, 2" long and wide fades, 33 1/2" limbs with 1/2" nocks, would those dimensions work?

I don't know whether or not "roughing out" is just getting it down to thickness or getting it down to the dimensions stated above but not tillered.

As always, thanks in advance
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
If you're not getting better, you're getting worse.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: Time to get working on my first non-board bow!
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2014, 05:20:01 pm »
Roughing it out is  removing the bark and getting the side profile.
Then it it is floor tillering time.
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Bitterguy

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2014, 05:26:50 pm »
Roughing it out is  removing the bark and getting the side profile.
Then it it is floor tillering time.
Jawge

Okay I really dont want to ruin this sapling so I'm just making sure.
step 1. get it down to my 1 1/8"
step 2. Debark
step 3. Seal ends and back
step 4. floor tiller
step 5. dry 2-4 weeks
step 6. make a bow

are those correct?
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2014, 06:11:08 pm »
First thing to do is give it time to dry. You can get it to floor tiller stage without harming anything but after that give it a month at least before you start tillering.
 On a 2" diameter stave you will be limited as to how wide it will turn out. As for the thickness, tillering will determine that.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Bitterguy

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2014, 06:31:05 pm »
Sorry this process is takingng a bit for me to understand it. So I'm just going to take it down to an inch by chopping wood off the belly with my hatchet. Then I'm going to debark it. Then I'm going to get it so it can bend a bit (but not n its final pyramid shape, just a flat bellyed round back hunk of wood) and then I seal up the back and ends and tie it to a 2x4 to dry for a month.
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2014, 06:33:09 pm »
First thing to do, it to find out what part of the stave to use. Which side will be the back of the bow? Which side will therefore be chopped away? That side should contain the most knots. Also, determine what length the bow will be and what length the stave is. It's not uncommon to closely inspect the stave (sapling) for at least 15 minutes before you do anything with it. Mark any knots, sideways bend and reflex or deflex. Determine where in this particular piece of wood the bow is hiding. Avoid the big knots by chopping them away as much as possible. If you're still left with knots, place them in the center of the bow's width rather than on the edge.
Once you determined where the bow is laying in the wood, cut off the excess length. Mark the centre (will be centre of the handle) and the handle itself (a few inches up and down from centre). Mark the back half of the bow and draw a centerline across the entire length of the bow, in the middle of the back. Mark the belly half of the bow-to-be. This needs to be the half of the sapling that you going to chop away.
Then start chopping (axe, hatchet, bandsaw, drawknife, big kitchenknife, whateva). Leave then handle intact (completely round still) and start from the fades out towards the tips. Cut all the way down to the pith (centre) of the tree. Effectively create a half round log, where the handle is still fully round. So you're making something that resembles this bow, except that your width profile will be different. Note the full-round (bark still on) handle, and pith running on the upper limb. You can narrow the tips a bit already, but make sure to leave the bow wider than your final dimensions. So taper it from full width at the handle fades, to maybe 1" wide at the tips. Then remove the bark CAREFULLY: you must not damage the underlying wood. Seal the ends. In my opinion, it's not necessary to seal the back as well. Put to dry horizontally for about two weeks. Not in an overly dry room right next to heater, but just in your bedroom for instance.
After a few weeks, the wood has lost a considerable amount of moisture but will not be completely dry. However, it is dry enough to start refining the design and start tillering up to floor tiller. Press the handle of the bow with one hand, while your other hand supports the upper tip. The lower tip is pressed against the floor. Apply about 30# of pressure. Remove enough bulk from the stave until the bow will flex a few inches with this 30# applied during floor tillering. When the bow is floor tillered up to this point, put it aside to dry for at least another week. Then continue tillering and shaping the bow.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline Bitterguy

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2014, 10:12:31 pm »
Alright, I just spent a good 3 hours hackin off wood and with soar arms I come back to report that I found the pith on one limb. I sealed up both ends and packed up fir the night. Feels good! Ill post pics tomorrow.
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.