Author Topic: obscure bit of vintage archery equipment  (Read 7980 times)

Offline Josh B

obscure bit of vintage archery equipment
« on: April 10, 2014, 08:41:05 pm »
Anybody know anything about these?  It was made by grimes archery (the company that made the aluminum limbed bows way back when) the limbs are basically tapered round fiberglass rods with flat bellies (I assume the flat was due to final tillering adjustment)  glued into an aluminum riser that has an arrow shelf on both sides for right or left handers.  This one is 35#@26".  Its in fair condition, so I'm thinking about cleaning it up and hanging it in the shop for a conversation piece.   I was just wondering if anybody had ever shot one or knew much about them.  This is the first one I have ever come across.  Josh
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 08:45:46 pm by Gun Doc »

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: obscure bit of vintage archery equipment
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2014, 08:47:22 pm »
...."Grimes made bows up until the early 60's out of a hanger at Oakland-Pontiac Airport in Pontiac Mi (actually in Waterford, now called Oakland International) They all AL and AL risers with glass limbed bows. I have a friend that ran around with the owners son. There isn't a lot of info on Grimes.
The all AL can break without notice so do not shoot one if you have it. The AL fatigues and just suddenly gives way.

They seem to be getting a little more notice, but just a couple years ago they could be had for $40 or less if you payed attention."

....Dug this up trucker. Im buying the story. I seen Pontiac on yours as well.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 08:50:24 pm by PEARL DRUMS »
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2014, 10:15:13 pm »
Ah the old days of al u min ee um castings. Never seen one, good shop hanger. dp
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2014, 11:15:12 pm »
PD nailed it, with a lo of local history I never heard. All of those old aluminum bows are subject to break without a warning, almost bankrupt Bear Archery.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Josh B

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2014, 11:33:42 pm »
Thank you gentleman!  I appreciate the responses.  It sure is an ugly duck, but definitely unique.  Josh

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2014, 11:55:06 pm »
Cool, Josh. I love any old archery stuff. Them guys back then had interesting since of design or was that humor?  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Josh B

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2014, 12:29:54 am »
Cool, Josh. I love any old archery stuff. Them guys back then had interesting since of design or was that humor?  ;D

Good question Pat!  Lol!  Folks sure came with some crazy stuff in those days.  Remember those goofy things with the pulleys and cables.   Like that was gonna catch on ::)  Whoops...I guess that one did kinda slip through cracks. :-\  ;)  >:D. Josh

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2014, 09:45:30 am »
I have one similar to that, Josh, but with horn nocks and pipe center with cork around it. I never noticed the maker so not sure if it is made by the same folks. All fiberglass limbs though. My son has it at his house. I will see if I can get a pic up.
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline JEB

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2014, 08:55:12 am »
Gun doc: Pearl Drums nailed it.  Grimes bows were shot by many good archers.  I have most if not all copies of Archery magazines starting at 1949.  I remember seeing Grimes bows adds in a few of them.  When I get a chance I will go thru a few and see if I can find an add or two for you the Grimes bows.  if so I will get copies of them to you.

Bear  put aluminum in the Grizzly model  maybe in 48 or 49.  I have one of those old grizzlies but would never even string it up for fear of breakage.  Another good looking bow made in Michigan is the Ivanhoe made in Ludington Michigan.  Has all aluminum limbs attached to a wood riser.  Also another good looking wall hanger.

Offline 4dog

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2014, 01:48:17 pm »
i would leave it as is if your not gonna shoot it,or use it....might be more valuable if ya just leave it be.  ;)
"SET" is always there !!!

Offline bow101

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2014, 10:23:37 pm »
I like looking at Vintage stuff online, lots of it if you know where to look.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2014, 10:39:49 pm »
I'm thinking about a Vintage thread "show and tell", I know you wood chippers like it.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline chamookman

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2014, 04:50:35 am »
This post reminded Me, that I have one of those Grimes Bows stashed around here somewhere . Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2014, 05:46:09 am »
How far can you get out on those antennas driver?  >:D
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline Josh B

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2014, 05:27:12 pm »
Kenny- cool, look forward to checking it out.
JEB-I wouldn't want to put you out, but if you do find some adds pertaining to this little jewel I would sure like to have a copy.  That would be a neat accoutrement for any display that I might put together.
4dog- appreciate the advice
Eddie-  a show and tell would be a good thread!
Bob- I'd sure like to see pics of your Grimes.  I'm thinking about getting one of the aluminum limbed ones for the display.
Soy-  I can't figure out where to hook up the coax! ::)
Thanks for the responses fellas!  Josh