Author Topic: Sinew repair  (Read 2253 times)

Don Case

Sinew repair
« on: February 18, 2014, 02:45:44 pm »
I patched a splinter with sinew and hide glue. Here's a picture of the repaired section. Any idea what the white lines are? I rubbed my thumbnail across them and they don't feel like a crack. Are they a problem?
Thanks

Offline PatM

Re: Sinew repair
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2014, 02:56:32 pm »
Your glue was likely a bit thin.  Those lines are the equivalent to surface checking on wood.

Offline bow101

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2014, 03:18:23 pm »
Is that Yew Don..........?
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 03:27:09 pm »
It looks to me like varying sinew density and color. Some of those harder spots of sinew will be darker than the angel hair stuff because they don't suck up as much glue.  Just my 2 cents.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2014, 03:42:13 pm »
Your image is pretty small but I would have to agree with Pat, glue too thin or too much glue.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Don Case

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2014, 04:18:11 pm »
Thanks guys. It's an Ocean Spray bow I was working on in December  http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,43701.0.html
that lifted a big splinter. The sinew is from a beef tendon dog chew so there may be issues there. It was the first time I've stripped sinew so there is probably a bit of size variance. Some of it did feel a little stiff. Should it be soft? The glue was also my first try. It's made from rawhide dog chews. I think, if anything the glue was getting a little thick by the time I put the last layer on.  Do you think it will hold together?

Offline PatM

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2014, 06:16:51 pm »
Did you soak the sinew in water first or just dunk the dry sinew into the glue?

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2014, 06:20:44 pm »
Run with it.  (My two cents).
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Don Case

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2014, 06:56:22 pm »
Soaked in water. Well, not soaked, I dipped it in and it went limb and soggy(you know the feeling) then I squeezed it out between my fingers and then did the same in the glue. Stuck it on the bow and kind of trowelled it out with a stick. Then I continued on like I said on your post.
Don