Author Topic: Hackberry Bow Progress Pics  (Read 4463 times)

Offline Gaust

Re: Hackberry Bow Progress Pics
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2014, 09:32:49 am »
Thanks, guys.  I think you've almost convinced me to do it.  Been practicing with my new caul on an old hickory board bow.  I noticed, however, how difficult it is to keep it aligned and straight.  As I slowly bent it (I hung a weight on the other end),  it wanted to wander.  Is there a good way to keep straight?  I'm pretty sure the caul's surface is level.  BTW, here's a pic of my caul.
George

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2014, 09:36:51 am »
Make your caul longer, make the bend in one shot rather than hanging weights. Just heat, bend and clamp each section between your clamp holes.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Gaust

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2014, 02:32:06 pm »
Chris, I'm already at my draw weight of 45# @ 28".  Even thinking of scraping more of the sides to further reduce mass.  Do you think it would be worth it to reflex the tips at this point?  Again, what would I gain?  And would I have to probably re-tiller?  Just trying to grasp the pros and cons. 
George

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2014, 02:43:56 pm »
You'd gain early string tension, which equals power. You will gain at least 4-5#, which will allow you plenty of tweaking room. Im not trying to talk you into it, just letting you know what to expect.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Gaust

« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2014, 02:59:19 pm »
Thanks, Chris.  I'm still considering it, but I'm going to go ahead and shoot the bow as is and see how it feels. 
George