Author Topic: Boards vs staves ???  (Read 20540 times)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Boards vs staves ???
« Reply #105 on: February 15, 2014, 11:02:03 am »
Boards make great lumber to build racks to hold all my stave bows.....;)
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline adb

« Reply #106 on: February 15, 2014, 11:22:07 am »
You're a funny guy, Chris.  ::)

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #107 on: February 15, 2014, 11:29:43 am »
Pretty sure the original post was just looking for a definition of each, not pages of reasons why one is supposedly superior to the other.  Just sayin...  :o

Offline Badger

« Reply #108 on: February 15, 2014, 12:23:14 pm »

+1. However, I have to spend about $200 to get a decent yew or osage stave to my door.
[/quote]

Every now and then I will drop 100.00 plus shipping, as soon as I get my elb tiller perfected I will uy one of those perfect staves.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #109 on: February 16, 2014, 10:46:34 am »
I believe a board bow will out shoot a stave bow made from the exact tree. If we had sister staves one decrowned given the same design, the decrowned stave will out shoot the natural stave. This is my opinion.

VMB

Just to fuel the fire, I believe this to be a challenge you would lose.  With some woods, particularly tension weak woods, this may be true, but with many other woods like some Elm, Hickory, and Osage, your "de-crowned" stave would often have less cast.  Take a high crowned tension strong wood and build a bow to say 50lbs at 28 inches and it takes an inch of set.  Take the near identical sister stave, de-crown it and build a bow to the same specks.  At a minimum it will take more set and lose some of its cast.  I believe (not convinced just pretty sure) it might have more mass as well making it slower still.  It may be less prone to snapping in half, but it wont be faster.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Gaust

« Reply #110 on: February 16, 2014, 01:37:30 pm »
WS, as a former architect myself, and after building a dozen board bows and am now completing my first stave bow, I have to say, for me, it's has been more satisfying making this stave bow.  Originating from a tree cut down in my yard, hand splitting it into staves, taking one stave and shaping it with hand tools into bow form, etc., patiently drying it, and now doing final tillering....it's been a wonderful experience so far.  In the beginning, board bows were exciting, but after a while, the challenge lessened there.  I kinda figured out the formula with the limited kinds of wood that were available to me.  Staves are more challenging and definitely more satisfying.  It's like Mies van der Rohe vs. Antoni Gaudi in architecture, I suppose.  Balance in modernism vs. the implied freedom that free form provides.  Both styles work, but one is more, like I would say of stave bows, more challenging.   

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #111 on: February 16, 2014, 04:37:03 pm »
Reminds me of the Stephen Bishop song "On and On". :)
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline bushboy

« Reply #112 on: February 16, 2014, 08:21:52 pm »
I like bows made of wood!hope I don't sound. Simple!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline adb

« Reply #113 on: February 16, 2014, 10:28:09 pm »
Reminds me of the Stephen Bishop song "On and On". :)
Jawge

I think this debate will never end, and I don't think it's a bad thing!

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #114 on: February 16, 2014, 11:21:55 pm »
Do, ADP, noting wrong with that. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline brettd

« Reply #115 on: February 17, 2014, 12:18:11 pm »
I have a question.  Board bows that have been discussed are mostly self or backed bows.  What about board laminates?  I could just work the bow from the board.  Or, instead of cutting the board as it is, I cut it into strips (say, 1/4 inch) and then laminate them (with TB III or similar) back into a "board" blank and then make the bow from this four or five-laminate.  how will these two approaches yield different results?

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #116 on: February 17, 2014, 01:53:43 pm »
I have a question.  Board bows that have been discussed are mostly self or backed bows.  What about board laminates?  I could just work the bow from the board.  Or, instead of cutting the board as it is, I cut it into strips (say, 1/4 inch) and then laminate them (with TB III or similar) back into a "board" blank and then make the bow from this four or five-laminate.  how will these two approaches yield different results?

Might want to start a new thread . ;)