Author Topic: Hickory Backings- Flatsawn or quartersawn???  (Read 2450 times)

Offline BrokenArrow

Hickory Backings- Flatsawn or quartersawn???
« on: February 19, 2014, 04:09:47 pm »
I am about to back a new set of bows with hickory.
Any suggestions from experience?
Which is better quartersawn or flatsawn flat along the back of the bow?
My experience is with flatsawn as it looks far nicer.

Thanks

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
Re: Hickory Backings- Flatsawn or quartersawn???
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2014, 04:19:48 pm »
The nice straight grain off quarter sawn works best in my experience. Looking forward to seeing these bows, keep us posted.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2014, 04:26:14 pm »
I would use either cut if the grain is straight tip to tip. However, a flat sawn back is more likely to pop a ring up as its bending that same way. 1/4 sawn is mean stuff.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline BrokenArrow

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2014, 07:01:59 pm »
Thanks guys.
I am really interested in your experiences as I have 6 flatsawn hickory backings used on 6 bows between 38 and 68 pounds and not one problem at all.

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2014, 09:58:31 pm »
Hickory is just good at holding together. Typically, you don't use flatsawn for backings because they will have ring violations where the rings pop in and out, unless your flatsawn lumber has one continuous ring for the back of the bow, which it most likely does not unless you chased a ring in it, which some people do. (Check out Alan Blackhams "The Back Street Bowyer" Pdf: http://www.alanesq.com/longbow/bsb/The-Back-Street-Bowyer-b3.pdf for example ) Any violations in the back are not a good thing though, there is great tension and stress on the back of a bow which demands a lot of tensile strength. The back of a bow demands some type of fiber running from one end to the other to hold the bow together, when a flatsawn piece of lumber has a ring pop out, then the length of fibers is "violated". As the ring is basically a length of fibers. Hickory is a great wood choice for this, particularly because of it's interlocking grain I believe. Hard maple too, along with ash, elm, hackberry, and bamboo among others. Like I said, one continuous unviolated ring would be the optimal choice for the back of a bow. But quartersawn and riftsawn works great too. As when a selfbow has one continuous ring on the back, and the fibers in the wood run from one end to other end holding the bow together when it is drawn, using a quartersawn or riftsawn backing will likewise create a backing with fibers running from one end of the bow to the other end, holding the bow together in the same way. You do need to make sure to use the straightest grain you can find, with little or no wavyness or runoff. And yes, hickory will tolerate violations better than others,  ;D.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 10:02:50 pm by toomanyknots »
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline hunterbob

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2014, 11:04:14 pm »
Thanks toomanyknots . That was the best I ever heard it.

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2014, 12:27:04 am »
Thanks toomanyknots . That was the best I ever heard it.

No prob Bob,  ;).
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair