Author Topic: Ultimate Bend Test/Caption Contest  (Read 6675 times)

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
Re: Ultimate Bend Test/Caption Contest
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2014, 02:17:38 pm »
! TIMBER !...???   :o

Honey, have you seen Lil Jimmy?   ???

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline Ed Brooks

« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2014, 02:25:57 pm »
Really glad to hear nobody was hurt, I have known a few trained timber fallers killed by barber chair tree, nothing to mess with, be careful out there that could really mess up your day. Ed
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline Strongbow

« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2014, 10:29:50 pm »
Thanks for all the captions, as well as the safety advice.  This cut went wrong from the very beginning.  It wanted to go the opposite way from the notch.  We saw the split starting early on and kept well back.  Tree went down in slow motion due to the hickory not wanting to break.  As fun as this hobby is, it is a good reminder that a lot of the things we do can be dangerous and we can't take our tools/environment for granted.  I will be cutting smaller trees from now on  ::)

Offline WhitefeatherFout

« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2014, 02:02:09 am »
I feel I should say some more here, not just to you strongbow, but everyone else reading this.  I've been in the forestry business for a good while and bad things can happen very quickly, even to experienced cutters.  Diameters of trees under tension don't matter.  Springpoles, if you don't know what they are, please look em up, are very dangerous.  Plenty of two inch diameter trees that are under tension have maimed or killed.  If not cut properly, they explode, typically into the gut, chest or head area.  Never cut a spring pole low or high.  You have to shave the middle and relax it.  I don't mean to hijack your thread, just felt that I should bring this to everyone's attention. 

Offline country

« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2014, 09:59:06 am »
!!REBMIT

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2014, 11:32:14 am »
There's a nice pic of a springpole in my bloge here...
http://bowyersdiary.blogspot.co.uk/2013/12/walk-in-woods.html
I was V careful cutting it, you can see the before and after... Yup I reckon it would have taken my head off :o
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2014, 11:53:00 am »
The day Paul Bunyan found his wife cheating.