Author Topic: tip overlays slipping  (Read 3988 times)

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
Re: tip overlays slipping
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2014, 09:31:54 am »
I had this happen on a very short bow.. I finally found after several glueings that it wasnt my glue or mating surfaces but it was the fact that my bow was bending all the way to the tips and was causing it to 'pop' off.. I thinned my overlays to flex with the limb and aint had a problem since... Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline NeolithicMan

• No beliefs, just ideas
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2014, 09:46:08 am »
I have used titebond3 to glue cocobolo to an osage bow with no issues. light sanding with the grain on the bow with 320 grit and smear glue on the overlay. I used a light clamp to put a little pressure on but not to much.
John, 40-65# @ 28" Central New York state. Never enough bows, never enough arrows!

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2014, 09:57:19 am »
I use the gorilla super glue. Not sure if it is jell, or not, but it is thick enough to hold in place instead of running everywhere while waiting on it to dry. It has worked perfectly for me, so far.
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2014, 11:37:47 am »
I use CA gel as well for my overlays.  Nothing wrong with TB3, but why complicate things?  With CA you just hold it for a few seconds and you are good to go.  No clamps required.  If you insist on clamping, you can add the clamps after it's bonded, but before it cures.  Then they don't shift around. :)

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2014, 11:52:14 am »
I clean both surfaces with acetone before glueing with loctite liquid superglue and then use rubber bands to hold them tight.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2014, 12:11:41 pm »
I think we need a little more clarification instead of trying to guess what the problem might be.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline AH

« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2014, 02:26:34 pm »
I think we need a little more clarification instead of trying to guess what the problem might be.
right.
I glued the overlays on before tillering with superglue, and they came off halfway in the process. Same thing with epoxy. The next time I used titebond and it held until I was finished with tillering and shaping the nocks. I finished the bow and all was well for a few days but then when I strung it the top tip overlay slipped.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2014, 02:31:42 pm »
Did you rasp an angle on first? Like this.

Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.