Author Topic: Twisted staves  (Read 5740 times)

Don Case

Twisted staves
« on: February 05, 2014, 02:34:49 pm »
I found a patch of yew with about 50-60 trees. Half are dead and 90% are obviously twisted dramatically. I found one small(3") that was dead straight and looked like it wasn't twisted. I ran my pocket knife down the bark and it seemed to go in a straight line. So I cut it and took it home. When split it had about a 45 degree twist in 7', usable but not great. I'm looking for a way to tell if it's twisted before I cut it. I examined the bark carefully but it was just roundish patches that didn't give much of a clue. It occurred to me that if I cut out a square of bark and looked at the inside that might give me a clue. Does the inner bark accurately follow the grain? I should have looked when I peeled this stave but the idea hadn't come to me yet.
Thanks
Don

Offline kleinpm

Re: Twisted staves
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2014, 04:12:51 pm »
I don't know much about yew, but I use chokecherry and serviceberry that are nearly universally twisted way worse than 45 degrees.

I ignore the twist, saw it right down the middle and clamp it so it doesn't warp while its drying.
You might be able to do the same with yew.

Patrick

Offline bow101

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2014, 04:31:26 pm »
LoL.  the luck I've had with raw products goes beyond the scope of this thread.  At any rate I have given up on that for a while,  I concentrate on lumber yard wood that has been dried, planed and dressed.
Although I have to pay for it,  which I would rather not but convenience and structure takes precedence over raw stuff from the bush at this point in time.
Having said that I admire so many hundreds of bows I have seen on this site and others made from Osage.  It makes me wonder is there any bow wood thats better....... ;)

What I'm trying to say Don is, tackle some maple board material from Windsor, you will be surprised..!
It's extremely forgiving.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2014, 07:45:42 pm »
I would just cut it down the center like stated. I actually have some yew I cut seasoning ATM. All about 2-3" In diameter. That was my plan. It's gonna be basically half a stick so I don't see how the twist will matter. Specially yew. U don't even need a solid ring for a back
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline dmenzies1950

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2014, 08:32:32 pm »
Saw the sucker in half dry let em dry and start building bows!

Dale
"His bow remained steady, his strong arms stayed limber, because of the hand of the Mighty One, the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel." Genesis 49:24

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2014, 08:34:23 pm »
Saw the sucker in half dry let em dry and start building bows!

Dale

Yew is for cheaters and people that like staight lines!   >:D

Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2014, 09:45:20 am »
It's very difficult, if not impossible, to read the grain for any twist in yew bark. The bark is so flakey, with no real vertical lines as you find with hickory, ash or oak. It's therefore nearly impossible to see if it twists. Sometimes I can see a local twist near a grain abnormality, but this is only seen in the lighter colored underlying bark, and not in the flakes that lay on top of this. I nowadays rely on instinct to make out if a yew trunk will be twisted. Was the tree growing at an angle? Was it exposed to a lot of wind? If the answer to either of these two questions is 'yes', then I assume the wood will be twisted, even if the bark appears straight.
I've used small diameter trees of about 2" diameter and just chopped away with an axe to get only one bow from it. With such a small diameter, you won't be able to get more than one bow from it anyway, so I just don't split it at all. I recently acquired a small trunk that was 2" at the top and 3" at the bottom. It was just thick enough to get two bows from, but then I wouldn't have to rely on splitting. So I used a jigsaw to saw it in half and just ignored any possible twist that would have been present. Although this wood is still drying, I know from past experience that it is perfectly safe to just ignore a bit of twist in yew and saw a log into staves as opposed to splitting.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Don Case

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2014, 03:12:21 pm »
I went out again yesterday to a different spot. I used $30 in gas, hiked a mile in, gained 1000' in altitude in that mile, cut a 2" and a 4" staves and then carried them out. Definitely not cheaper than Windsor Plywood. But these ones are straight!!! I took your advise and just ran the 2" one through the bandsaw and then split the offcut just to see. It split nice and straight. I don't think I'll go back there, that climb just about did me in.
I really wonder about the wind causing twist thing. The place I first mentioned, with all the twisted ones was in deep timber. Some of the yews are a foot or better in dia. That means they've been there for better than 500 years doesn't it? I don't think they've ever felt a breeze. I think it's genetic. In one spot most of the trees are twisted and in another they're mostly straight. Anyway I've got my yew staves. So now I have about 10 Ocean Spray, a couple of Pacific crab, Dogwood, Serviceberry, Doug Maple and Ninebark. I have some OS that is just about dry. I can start making bows in a month or so. Hate waiting.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2014, 03:15:09 pm »
Run it through the bandsaw. Yew is tolerant of grain runoff.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline bow101

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2014, 04:14:53 pm »
I went out again yesterday to a different spot. I used $30 in gas, hiked a mile in, gained 1000' in altitude in that mile, cut a 2" and a 4" staves and then carried them out. Definitely not cheaper than Windsor Plywood. But these ones are straight!!! I took your advise and just ran the 2" one through the bandsaw and then split the offcut just to see. It split nice and straight. I don't think I'll go back there, that climb just about did me in.
I really wonder about the wind causing twist thing. The place I first mentioned, with all the twisted ones was in deep timber. Some of the yews are a foot or better in dia. That means they've been there for better than 500 years doesn't it? I don't think they've ever felt a breeze. I think it's genetic. In one spot most of the trees are twisted and in another they're mostly straight. Anyway I've got my yew staves. So now I have about 10 Ocean Spray, a couple of Pacific crab, Dogwood, Serviceberry, Doug Maple and Ninebark. I have some OS that is just about dry. I can start making bows in a month or so. Hate waiting.

Good for you, sounds like you have enough material to keep you going for a while.  When the wheather changes I have to go out and get some D-Maple and more Ocean spray.  Flu permitting....... >:(
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2014, 04:35:21 pm »
Watch those saplings they're prone to twist and warp on yah. I would clamp them to a 2" reflex form.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Don Case

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2014, 08:36:09 pm »
Thanks, done. Clamped to a 2x8

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2014, 09:57:59 pm »
Thanks, done. Clamped to a 2x8

Atta boy, Don.  Show that wood who is boss!  Now be sure to post picture as you go.  Most of us (like me) can't read, ya know!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Don Case

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2014, 10:50:31 pm »
It's gotta dry til at least next fall doesn't it? This cold snap we're in should help, the RH in the house is 10%. The stave is in the shop though, it's nowhere near as dry out there cause it's so flippin cold!

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2014, 11:14:56 am »
I have some I'm waiting for. One had a deer rub on it. So I dunno if it was dying or what. It feels a lot lighter. I'm waiting for the summer to check them out though.
Nothing ventured nothing gained