Author Topic: newb, seeking supplies. -Houston area  (Read 991 times)

Offline Knosaj

newb, seeking supplies. -Houston area
« on: February 07, 2014, 03:24:07 pm »
Hello all. I am from the Houston area and plan on taking a swing at making a bow. (i think i am actually located 10 minutes from primitive archer's HQ. lol.

Anyway, Ive read a few posts on here regarding stave sources. To start off, I don't really wanna pay 75-100+ for a blank and may try to visit Houston hardwoods or Clarks. I've been there before for other projects and they seem to have a pretty good supply.

I doubt they will have any osage (which from my understanding is a good place to start) so maybe hickory would be a good second choice?

i am sure i could get about any type of wood (besides osage) from clarks. I also have a pretty good source of white oak and osage on my folks land. (i think is osage judging by the huge green apple things that are out there)

anyway, besides a local store, does anyone in houston sell blanks less than the online shops, or is that just what they go for. I can go cut the wood, but id like to get started and dont wanna wait for drying times.

One more question. Do hardwoods like teak and Ipe make good bows? they seem like they would be brittle. I have a bunch of short strips of Ipe from wood floor drops. maybe i can incorporate these into the details of a bow and can possibly turn up some long flooring strips.

Thanks in advance

jason

Offline Weylin

Re: newb, seeking supplies. -Houston area
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2014, 03:31:53 pm »
Cut some of that osage and get it drying. While it's drying buy a good straight grained white oak or hickory board and practice tillering a nice long straight limbed bow. That's my advice. :) Welcome to PA

Ipe makes a great bow. (can't speak about teak). Ipe is very strong in compression and is best as a belly wood but benefits from a good tension strong backing like bamboo or hickory. be careful, it seems a lot of different tropical hardwood can get labeled as ipe.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 03:34:59 pm by Weylin »

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2014, 03:33:09 pm »
ipe makes a great bow if you back it. hickory, maple, white oak boards will all make good bows and all work great as backing material.   

Offline Knosaj

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2014, 04:02:33 pm »
good info already.

thanks!