Author Topic: Draw Weights  (Read 2360 times)

Offline BrokenArrow

Draw Weights
« on: February 06, 2014, 03:50:44 pm »
I am wondering; if you have say a 70 pound draw weight on a 65 inch long bow versus a 70 pound draw weight on a 75 inch long bow and they are both drawn to 29 inches is one of these an easier draw than the other or does 70 pounds alwasy feel the same?
Thanks

Offline steve.b

Re: Draw Weights
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2014, 03:54:23 pm »
A short bow stacks more quickly due to the greater string angle. So while the force perpendicular to the bow is the same and will feel the same the amount of energy stored in the bow will be less.

Offline bubby

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2014, 03:54:23 pm »
70# is 70#
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline WillS

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2014, 03:57:34 pm »
The longer the bow, the easier it feels to draw.  Also depends a lot on how the bow is built - a 70# bow can feel like a 30# if the bow is soggy at brace height and stacks, but a 70# bow can also feel like a 100# bow if the early draw weight is high.  It's not just the nock to nock length that makes two bows with the same draw weight feel different, but they do definitely have an effect.

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2014, 08:05:44 am »
A shorter bow also creates a sharper string angle at the arrow/drawing hand. You will therefore experience more 'finger pinch' in the shorter bow, which can be uncomfortable.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline adb

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2014, 09:14:13 am »
All else being equal, a longer bow will be subjectively nicer to shoot. It'll seem smoother, have less finger pinch, will not likely stack at full draw, and will be more accurate ta boot. But, as mentioned, 70# is 70#. If I'm target shooting, I always reach for a longer bow.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2014, 09:34:19 am »
If the question is as I read it, "will all 70lb @29" bows feel the same when drawn?"  I think the answer is no.  For the reasons stated, high early draw weight on one vs another that stacks badly to get there.  My opinion, those two bows will feel different and perform differently.  70lbs is 70lbs, but the force draw curve will show you a number of different ways to get there.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2014, 12:01:18 pm »
That's like asking if 70 pounds is heavier then 70 pounds lol Jk I think I get your question, the shortbow would feel harder to draw and probably would stack up to 70 pounds making it feel heavier the longer bow would probably smoothly flow up to 70 pounds as you drew
I like osage

Offline bubby

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2014, 02:46:05 pm »
a 65" bow is not short, finger pinch or stack I don't see in the equation with the bows he mentioned
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2014, 03:25:19 pm »
I agree bubby, comparing a 65" bow and a 75" bow may be tough.  Two questions were asked here.  I answered the second one "Do ALL 70lb bows feel the same?", and ignored the first one that dictated 65" and 75" bows. I think you were answering the first.  Easier to show a difference between say a 56 inch straight limb bow with an inch of string follow and a 68 inch bow with 3 inches of reflex and recurved tips, both drawing 70lbs at 29 inches.  Now add in that if the short bow was braced at 7 inches and the long bow at 4 inches, you change the equation even further.  Stored energy is vastly different and I think the "feel" is different as well.  Both weigh the same at 29 inches, but each took a different path getting there.  That's the question I was addressing.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2014, 06:48:47 pm »
As a general rule, the longer the bow the smoother it will feel (assuming similar basic design and tiller shape)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.