Author Topic: hackberry staves  (Read 3726 times)

Offline TimothyR

• PM110782
hackberry staves
« on: February 05, 2014, 02:14:39 am »
Hello all...I'm some what new at this (my wife calls it my new obsession). I've made some oak, hickory and osage board bows with some success.  I have lots of hackerry growing in my fence line and she wants it cut down. They are just the right size for staves. I was wondering how long I need to dry them and also I'm putting them in the attic and was wondering if I need to sprinkle 7 dust on them to keep insects away from them. Thanks for any feed back. Timothy
Freedom dies one compromise at a time. III%

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: hackberry staves
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2014, 08:14:17 am »
Cut them when the leaves are out. Cut them no less than 72" if you can help it. Peel all the bark off, it will come off easy then. Split into 1/4's and seal the ends and backs with several coats of bullseye shellac. Let them sit for 6-8 months and they are good to go. Don't store them outside if you can help it. Bugs GENERALLY leave wood alone that is free of bark and cambium.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2014, 11:46:54 am »
Bugs GENERALLY leave wood alone that is free of bark and cambium.

I agree, as long as you don't got no powder post beedles in your house (which would be horrible!) you don't need to mess with any chemicals or pesticides or anything. As long as you

- remove the bark
- and store them inside somewhere

Also, make sure you cut them longer than you need, and seal the ends of the cut.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2014, 01:55:42 pm »
...and be sure to tell your wife that your obsession will soon become a full blown addition.  ;)   That will make her feel better.  ;D
 I haven't built a bow from hackberry but listen to these guys. They know for sure.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bubby

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2014, 03:13:12 pm »
Pat you really should try hackberry, good wood
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2014, 03:34:19 pm »

Hmmmmm? Gives me an idea bub.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bubby

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2014, 04:14:33 pm »

Hmmmmm? Gives me an idea bub.

8)
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2014, 04:22:30 pm »
Kris McDonald gave me a big stave(2-3 bows worth) a few years ago at the Classic but the whole tree turned out to be bad. Kris suggested I not try them so they became firewood.   :(
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2014, 05:35:18 pm »
I have had a shooting bow out of hackberry in as little as 4 wks. Cut, split, debarked, roughed out all in one day.  I stuck 1" blocks under each tip and bound it down nice and tight to a 2x4 to cut down on warp and twist.  After 3 weeks baking in a vehicle parked in summer sun, I floor tillered. Back on the blocks and 2x4 for another few days in the Toyota oven. Several nites of tillering slowly, with baking in the vehicle during the day. 

Because it was reduced to near bow dimensions, there was little chance of the wood checking.  I did do a little heat correcting to take out a bit of twist, but it made a nice little native horse bow style shooter.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2014, 08:35:05 pm »
Hey Pearl...........I think bubby did it again  :)
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Bowhunters of South Carolina
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2014, 09:20:41 pm »
I love the hackberry......so easy to work and smells good.....all I have used was northern hackberry.  I have not used our southern hackberry (sugarberry) yet.  Also I have yet to heat treat some but plan to.
Happy hunting to all!
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive council member
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate member

Reevesville, SC     James V. Bailey II

Offline ohma2

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2014, 11:18:24 am »
i realy like hackberry.i cut 4 trees just the other day.as pearl said the bark comes off easier with leaves on,but these trees were going to be dozed so the land owner could get a few more rows of crop along the edge of  field.he was nice enough to let me harvest first.

Offline TimothyR

• PM110782
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2014, 12:12:04 pm »
Thanks for all the advice...I think I'll cut som now so I can get them to drying.  is there any difference in the northern and the southern?  I'm in Oklahoma.
Freedom dies one compromise at a time. III%