Author Topic: George Herter  (Read 2860 times)

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
George Herter
« on: February 04, 2014, 03:20:44 pm »
Anybody ever read any of his stuff?  Wife got me his Bull Cook book for Christmas and I thought it was great. Read it cover to cover. Then I was on Amazon looking up his 1963, pre-wheelie, archery book and saw a wine making book that made me look twice. I went to book case and sure enough I had it already, got it from my granddad when he passed. Found the Archery book on amazon and got it too. It's not too bad, haven's finished it though. He has lots of other books, one called "Living with a Bitch" and one called "Moonshine Bible" that I'm thinking of getting. Oh, I have a bid on one about fly tying and bait making right now I'm gonna get for my dad.  Anybody else read any of his stuff. He's a riot if you haven't.

Have a gooder, dpgratz
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline Mohawk13

Re: George Herter
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014, 04:43:28 pm »
He is Hilarious. Big Herter Collector...
He That Raises the sword against us, Shall be cleaved upon seven fold-Talmud.

Offline Buffalogobbler

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2014, 05:23:47 pm »
Derik,
I have his book "How to Get out of the rat race and live on $10.00 a Month", I have not read it yet.
All of the Herter's stuff is collectable!
Even though George Herter got a bit of a bad reputation for copying other people's designs he made an amazing array of products, Herter's known mostly for the game calls he made was intensly dis liked by other call makers of his time, yet none would argue that the man was a bit of a genius and created a company like no other before or after.
His calls fetch a premium price in collector circles.

Kevin
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 05:29:07 pm by Buffalogobbler »
Beer is living proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy-Ben Franklin

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2014, 07:43:13 pm »
My Dad told me that my Uncle, rest his soul, collected Herter ice fishing decoys and that every time they would drive together up to North Dakota, where my family is from, my uncle would make my Dad stop at certain antique stores to shop for Herter mech. I just heard of him at Christmas w/ the book my wife got, $2.00 at antique store in Bloomington, Indiana. I've read all I can find on him since reading that book, Bull Cook. HI-freakin-larious stuff in there. I started boiling fish since reading it, like a Norwegan. Not too bad.

Thanks for the replys, keep um comin, dpgratz
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline Parnell

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2014, 09:47:27 pm »
Sounds like an interesting guy.  i'll lookit up.
1’—>1’

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2014, 09:45:26 am »
I bought his book(PROFESSIONAL, of course) on fly tying and fishing stuff when I was about 10 years old. It is probably still in a drawer somewhere in the house. Don't remember tying flies but did tie a lot of lead heads after reading the book.

For those of you too young to remember the Herter's catalog, everything was listed as professional grade, an example would be a "Herter's Professional Sanbar 48" Recurve Bow". An effective marketing ploy not unlike the current trend to add a designation like"Clinical Strength" to health products, mindless gibberish but catches the attention of  the rank and file citizen consumer. 

Offline Buffalogobbler

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2014, 10:03:41 am »
A few years back I bought an old Herter's catalog from the 60's,at a garage sale for $3.00, it was about 2" thick with products, I sold it on greedbay for $20.00.

Kevin
Beer is living proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy-Ben Franklin

Offline Stoker

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2014, 10:23:44 am »
First real bow I bought was a herter's professional sitka bow 68'' recurve 65lbs. Still have it 8).. Built in 71.. If I remember correctly did'nt Muzzy buy them out??
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline chamookman

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2014, 05:54:01 am »
When I was a Pup, the Herters catalog was the best thing in the WORLD ! Wore them out lookin' & wishin'  ;). Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline JEB

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2014, 02:09:49 pm »
Back in the 70's I bought a Herter's 3 feather arrow fletcher. Still use it today.