Author Topic: Cherry bark tar?  (Read 3493 times)

Offline TacticalFate

Cherry bark tar?
« on: November 29, 2013, 09:52:49 pm »
I have a whole ton of chokecherry bark that I originally collected for basket making, but on finding it mostly too brittle and rough (works great as accenting strips) I need another use for most of it. I was thinking, since the chokecherry bark has similar properties to birch bark  (full of oils, burns while wet, etc.) would it be possible to use the same process as creating birch tar to create cherry tar? Has anyone ever tried this?
« Last Edit: November 29, 2013, 10:03:18 pm by TacticalFate »

Offline richardzane

• active Wyandot tribal member
    • richardzanesmith.wordpress.com
Re: Cherry bark tar?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2013, 09:58:10 pm »
hey! good question!
if no ones tried it , sounds like its worth an experiment for sure.
I'd be interested in knowing as well, pines are rare here, but wildcherry is everywhere.
when i'm working on things my ancestors worked, singing the songs my ancestors sang, dancing the same dances, speaking the same language, only then  I feel connected to the land, THIS land, where my ancestors walked for thousands of years...

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2013, 08:39:00 pm »
It makes beautiful and strong bow backing.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline dwardo

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2013, 08:55:56 am »
Not something I have tried but if i had to guess i wouldn't think it would contain enough oil.
It does burn but no-where near as well as oily birch bar. Lovely stuff though.

Offline guerillabow

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2014, 08:13:54 am »
hey! good question!
if no ones tried it , sounds like its worth an experiment for sure.
I'd be interested in knowing as well, pines are rare here, but wildcherry is everywhere.
Hi,cherrybark actually burns very well...lamp oil?I have been making wildcherry bark oil/tar for a while now...makes a great leather waterproofer lovely rich deep deep black with a reddish hue.I put this stuff on my woodenbows for weatherproofing aswell as my leather boots,works just great.Apart from that the old time herbalist healers reveer this stuff as a natural remedy for coughs and lung congestion,hope this helps.All the best
G.Trinovan

Offline Zuma

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2014, 11:59:07 am »
Great info right here. Thanks you all.
Zuma
PS I have used spring cherry for a quick easy axe haft and handle.
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2014, 02:15:54 pm »
If you want to get rid of some of that cherry bark for bow backings let me know.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline TacticalFate

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2014, 11:39:20 pm »
guirillabow, is the process for making it the same?