Author Topic: Tip Overlay Tutorial?  (Read 3084 times)

Offline kismet

Tip Overlay Tutorial?
« on: January 21, 2014, 01:53:20 pm »
Hi, All,

Would any of you be interested in doing a quick tip overlay build along?  I absolutely love the tip work so many of you do, and i am kinda stumped on how you get those tips to fit so perfectly on the bows.  I have always done my bows without overlays, and inevitably, i end up with string wear on my tip grooves regardless of how much i sand and smooth them.  the string grooves on bows with overlays are smooth as glass and obviously would not wear down my strings...thanks in advance.

Stan

Offline lostarrow

Re: Tip Overlay Tutorial?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2014, 02:16:03 pm »
Just flatten the tip of the bow ,a little bigger than what you want the overlay to be and clamp on your overlay material while the bow is still rough. Different glues for different materials. When the glue is set , shape it to the desired profile with the bow when you cut your nocks  in. Don't get too fancy   untill the bow is finished tillering . Bring it down close to what you want before you shoot it in ,so you dont have a big clunky nock creating a lot of handshock. These are from a bow that I'm working on now. Bloodwood overlays on hickory backed oak (kids bow). as you can see the nocks are shaped and blended in ,but still rough.They will be smaller more refined,and smoother of course. I have a couple hundred arrows through it and I know it will hold up well, so now I am on to the finer details of finishing. I use TBII or TBIII for wood overlays and 5min apoxy for antler ,horn or bone. Really rough up and clean the non wood overlays to give the glue some bite.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 02:26:10 pm by lostarrow »

Offline bubby

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2014, 03:28:22 pm »
 page 4 start of the tip overlays, nobody does a how to better than Gordon http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,3895.0.html
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline kismet

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2014, 03:47:00 pm »
Thanks to both of you...i will share my next attempt at tip overlays.  love this site and its members.

stan

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2014, 04:12:39 pm »
Check out my "68" Hickory Backed Lemonwood ALB" thread just above this one. I show tips and how I add the overlay.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 06:40:39 pm by Pat B »
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bubby

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2014, 05:53:01 pm »
I used to use the rubber bands like Patb to hold the tips in place while drying, now I use locktight professional super glue, just hold it for a few seconds and I have not had a failure
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹