Author Topic: Ash backed red oak?  (Read 3300 times)

Offline brettd

Re: Ash backed red oak?
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2014, 10:52:07 am »
My issue is that I'm getting my maple (very straight grained) by sifting through the boards available at home improvement stores, and it is never more than .75 inches thick. Since I am making ELB's, I need to thicken them by laminating.  I will (as soon as practical)  try a maple/maple lam and see how it goes.  Or maybe I'll just give in and try some self flatbows.  Thanks for the background info - very nice to hear from people who know what they are doing.  Is it still considered a selfbow if you put on a riser?

Offline bubby

Re: Ash backed red oak?
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2014, 04:17:51 pm »
My issue is that I'm getting my maple (very straight grained) by sifting through the boards available at home improvement stores, and it is never more than .75 inches thick. Since I am making ELB's, I need to thicken them by laminating.  I will (as soon as practical)  try a maple/maple lam and see how it goes.  Or maybe I'll just give in and try some self flatbows.  Thanks for the background info - very nice to hear from people who know what they are doing.  Is it still considered a selfbow if you put on a riser?

1. Any bow in which the bending portion of the limb is made of one piece of wood. Tip overlays and handle laminations count in the selfbow category as long as the bending portion of the limbs remain one piece of wood. The back of the bow must be only wood or snake skin. 

failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹