Author Topic: My first Molly ,KCT, tiller check please. ( new pics )  (Read 12419 times)

Offline Danzn Bar

Re: My first Molly ,KCT, tiller check please. ( new pics )
« Reply #45 on: December 29, 2013, 01:53:26 pm »
That would be a very interesting grip  ???  Love to see some pictures.  I have made a couple of arm guards like that and thought of doing the same on a grip.  I'm not sure how the sweat and hand oils would react with the skins.

Are you going to wrap the skin completely around the lever?
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Poggins

« Reply #46 on: December 29, 2013, 02:35:12 pm »
No , they are too narrow at the ends , I wasn't thinking about it till I already cut the two peaces from each end , I was thinking about saving the five inch long peace in the middle for later .
Not sure how the swet would be on the skins , I was wondering what glue would work , all I have right now is TBIII , TBIII and contact cement . I thought about using superglue on the skins like you would to hold the scales down the way they do when placed on the back of a bow , it would have to be done after it was put on the bow to keep from cracking , one could use masking tape above and below the grip to keep the glue off the rest of the bow . I was going to use the pigmy rattler on the tips but they were lighter than everything else and I didn't like it but it might work on the grip .
I'm going down the sides of the levers and out to the nocks , I may have to stop at the tip overlays if I can't trim around them and get the skins glued down good .

Offline Poggins

« Reply #47 on: December 29, 2013, 06:53:18 pm »
I got the copperhead skins glued on , that was a little bit of a challenge as thin as the skins are , they kep trying to fold under on the edges and moving around but I got them looking nice .
I'll wait till everything is dried good befor cleaning it up , wouldn't want to tare the skins now.
I'll try and get better pics also , need to get use to using my new camera anyway , may be around the first befor I can get better pics posted .
Any ideas on glueing snake skins onto leather , would smooth leather lightly sanded work or rough out leather , I have both .

Offline Poggins

« Reply #48 on: December 29, 2013, 11:56:03 pm »
I've trimmed the skins and everything is looking good , a little more work and I should be about ready to finish it up ( remove the scales on the snake skins , be sure the edges of the skins are glued down good , and some finish sanding ).

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #49 on: December 30, 2013, 03:59:11 pm »
Thats looking good Poggins. I was a little sceptical about wrapping them up the sides but looks good so far. Did you use TBII for the skins? Its what I have found works good. Looks like the spoonbill skins have browned out some and match the copperheads well.  Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline Poggins

« Reply #50 on: December 30, 2013, 04:30:12 pm »
Danny , I used TBIII , the spoonbill skins were wet in the earlier pics and are dry now , they may darken back up a little when I put a finish on it .
I will also go back and double check all the edges os the skins and make sure they are glued down good , if anything looks iffy I will use superglue to make sure they stay put , as long as there are no edges that can catch on something I'm sure it will be ok .

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #51 on: December 30, 2013, 06:21:33 pm »
That's look'n real  8).  That gives me some new ideas for the levers and nocks on my next molley....
Thanks,
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #52 on: December 30, 2013, 07:16:34 pm »
 That's really looking great poggins I like how use brought the skins to the bottom of the nock like that.

Can't wait to see it all wrapped up. :)

Offline Poggins

« Reply #53 on: December 30, 2013, 08:43:01 pm »
Thanks DBar and Matt , yep , rapping the skins all the way around the levers would have been nice , I just need to quit trying to save every little scrap peace of skin . If I had cut the skin in half in the middle it would have worked that way .
I've been thinking about what to finish this bow with , this is the first bow that I've put skins on and have been using the search to see what others use on fish skins .
When I get this one all wrapped up I plan on starting one for myself , it will have a set of spoonbill skins on the back of it also and probably be another KCT Molly ( my osage needs to season longer ).

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #54 on: January 02, 2014, 07:28:36 pm »
<snip>I've been thinking about what to finish this bow with , this is the first bow that I've put skins on and have been using the search to see what others use on fish skins .<snip>

Never done one myself, ...but I saw one covered in grass carp skins.  He used Tru-Oil on his and it was perfect to my eyes.  ...and Tru-oil is sooooo eazy to apply!

OneBow

Offline Poggins

« Reply #55 on: January 12, 2014, 02:06:33 pm »
Ok , its been a few days since my last post ( I keep getting an error message saying that I have been banned from Primitive Archer, been using my iphone but its working on my laptop ).
I used wipe on polyurethane on the bow , still need to finish the handle wrap ( just a temp on the bow now) and make a string for it .
Used my good camera this time to take the photos, the full draw is a little fuzzy, trying to count down the self timer in my head and draw just as the camera was going off.
Tried to pick a good spot to take pics but with 30mph winds wasn't easy ( bow kept trying to blow over), I haven't posted pics from my laptop so it may take a while ( going to try and get them on photobucket first).

Offline Poggins

« Reply #56 on: January 19, 2014, 10:59:54 am »
Ok , I was able to get back on so here are the pics .

Still not sure why I get a message saying I'm banned from PA , says I've used multiple user names but I only use Poggins , I I didn't think I posted anything that would upset anyone.

Offline Scottski

« Reply #57 on: January 19, 2014, 11:45:59 am »
Nice bow. Oh and I also get that same message when I try to get on here with my phone only.
Did the Native Americans think about all this that much or just do it?