Author Topic: Backing?  (Read 4567 times)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Backing?
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2015, 09:39:46 am »
Rawhide would be my suggestion.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2015, 11:17:21 am »
  Stain the bow like you want then barnish the bows back really,really good. Let it set a week and rebarnish it really good again. Yew hart wood in general compress's twice as much as any other wood. I learned not to back yew banish it. I did 3 bows like this as far as I know there all still alive and working.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2015, 11:29:48 am »
There was an outstanding sinew backed yew longbow posted a while back. Don't believe all the myths.  ;)

Yup.

Most rawhide is much heavier than 1-2 layers of sinew on a 1.25" wide bow. Who cares about the sinew stretching and working, its lighter therefore faster. That being said, Id use rawhide because its quick and easy and 10 FPS means zero to me.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2015, 12:55:06 pm »
Plus the time difference between applying a rawhide backing or 1-2 layers of sinew is hours

Offline E. Jensen

« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2015, 02:32:15 pm »
And I don't have any sinew. . . I do have some linen fibers and some hemp bark I've been itching to use.  Its about 1/4" wide and 10ft long, very strong, I have a hard time breaking a single strand with my hands, and pretty thin stuff, like paper.