Author Topic: How to align the stiff side of a shaft to the bow? Also, a spining question...  (Read 6671 times)

Offline willie

after watching this video and seeing the arrow flexing mostly on the horizontal plane, and rethinking conventional practice, I wonder what are the practical objections to Jackcrafty's approach are?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96KGWC0PB6s

Have the folks who advise not putting the "weak side to the bow" experminted with doing so with arrows that...

label the spine with the lowest value(s)

in effect using a stiffer arrow with a minimum spine equal to the maximum spine of the weaker arrow?

Just for general information, we mauled over this subject in great length on the old PA board and this concept has been proven to many to be accurate over the years...........Art

I am not trying to maul this question again, but would like to be able to read the old discussion if anyone knows how to find it.

tmk-

the footage in this video shows the initial flexing of the arrow appearing as a deflection of the string off the fingertips (the rear of the arrow away from the bow), rather than a deflection of the front of the arrow bearing against the bow.
If a guy shot off the thumb, would the arrow act a lot different?

willie

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
The arrow will flex according to the way the string is moving.  And firing off the thumb will produce an opposite flexing than firing off the fingertips, as you have probably guessed already.  A bow's string propels an arrow in the same way an atlatl propels a dart.  And the projectile will flex and fly in a "wavy" manner with both systems.  The difference is that the bow/arrow system works at a higher speed with a greater frequency of "waves".

I prefer to allow the arrow or dart to flex naturally in the direction that the system wants it to flex.  For me, this means doing the opposite of "resisting" or "countering" the effect.

Many people oppose this idea but I'm ready for the inevitable flack... 
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline willie

Jackcrafty

I prefer to allow the arrow or dart to flex naturally in the direction that the system wants it to flex

seems logical to me. Have you found a difference to how wide a handle you can shoot off of with the different spining methods?

willie

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
Nope. I haven't noticed any difference there.  The width of the handle doesn't seem to dictate how the arrow should be spined.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Buckeye Guy

I have the aewfullest time with thatt tree that's 10ft in front of me and just off the left side of the target it gets me every time !
Hate to admit that I agree with you Patrick
I do not like confrontation and especially not with a fellow that does such a great job of making arrows, so you are on your own .
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !