Author Topic: Indigenous techniques for making arrow shafts  (Read 3730 times)

Offline munkinstein

Indigenous techniques for making arrow shafts
« on: January 05, 2014, 01:24:25 pm »
Many indigenous peoples were known for the bowyer skills, arrow craft and skill and accuracy with the bent stick.  From my research, and I could be wrong since I'm still quite green, with a well made bow, arrows are the most important aspect with regards to shooting accurately and straight.  How did native peoples spine their arrows?  Did they spine their arrows, or did they just know from thousand of years of tradition on how to pick the right shafts?  I can go into a field near my home and get hundreds of dogwood shafts in a few hours, I can use modern methods of seeing what shaft is good for what and make a set of arrows that are almost perfect for that particular bow.  Without these methods I'd be pretty much flying blind and it would take me months of trial and error to find arrow shafts that would work well, or at least it feels that way right now.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Indigenous techniques for making arrow shafts
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 01:59:01 pm »
I've found that shoot shafts and cane shafts are more forgiving to spine matters than doweled shafts because of the natural taper. I've also found that shoot shafts and cane shafts of similar size(shoots to shoots, cane to cane) will produce similar arrows. I only use a spine tester to find the stiff side of the arrow which goes against the bow and I could probably do that without a spine tester. I also leave my shoot and cane arrows long, 30" for my 26" draw and think that allows the arrow to get around the bow easier. I assume the primitive archers used what worked best and stuck to that.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Dharma

• Kayenta, AZ
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 02:56:35 pm »
Well, there's usually a traditional arrow wood each tribe prefers. When we gather any plant material, we don't usually strip the source but gather a little from several sources. So we'd have several spots with a steadily regular supply. And we'd know those sources, for whatever reason produce the best shafts. We also generally gathered shafts from the part of a mountain that faced the rising sun. The way spine was measured was just a simple "bend test". When you know your bow and arrow, you can flex the shaft and know instinctively what's going to be best. The proof was in the shooting. We'd cull the best for hunting. The not-so-hot shooters were separated for battle when dropping arrows down on a massed enemy didn't require such pinpoint accuracy. Or we'd use those for fire arrows for firing a village.

Another thing. We had a "medicine" that told us certain stands of shoots would make good arrows. In a sense, the plant "told" us it would be good. Often, making arrows required certain prayers. Many tribes also had dedicated arrowmakers who would make arrows for trade and he just knew the craft instinctively. Even now, around here, an arrowmaker has a prestige somewhat similar to being a medicine person. And it's also a type of brotherhood. It's hard to divorce the spiritual from the mechanical in Native beliefs and ways. The bow and arrow still holds a lot of spiritual power. If a man is having a ceremony done for him to remove negative influences, an arrowhead will be tied into his hair on his left side because that's the hand he carries his bow in. That's the hand he carries the weapon he defends his people against hunger with. For a woman it is the right side because her weapon is the cooking paddle. We also see that each thing has its own spirit, some call this Manitou in some tribes, and so even an arrow has this. Especially since the arrow came from a plant which has its own spirit. So, if you can communicate with these spirits, you can express your needs to the arrow.

Color has importance, too. We didn't crest our arrows just for decoration. It was tribal affiliation, yes, but each warrior/hunter crested his arrows with his own personal colors and crest which were his medicine. This gives accuracy and power to the arrow. We also grooved our arrows because this represents lightning which is closely related to the arrow. But we also knew it helped keep the arrow from warping.

A bow and arrows were kept in a special place and not hidden away. A quiver might be decorated with personal power designs or amulets and so might the bow. No one was usually asked about this. If he wished to share, he might, but he wouldn't go into great detail about it and what they meant.

An arrow knows only the life its maker breathes into it...

Offline willie

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2014, 04:27:26 pm »
Dharma

When you know your bow and arrow, you can flex the shaft and know instinctively what's going to be best. The proof was in the shooting.

Do the people of your tribe always draw their bows to the same length each time?
I would imagine that true instinctive shooting could involve shots taken at different draw lengths, and arrow spine would be different for every draw length it is used. So an arrow might be selected for it's intended use out of the quiver, and a hunter might carry many differently  spined arrows.

willie

Offline Dharma

• Kayenta, AZ
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2014, 04:48:06 pm »
Draw length was measured and arrows made accordingly. Bear in mind that draw length can be affected by factors such as type of release which often varied from tribe to tribe. But a common "rule of thumb" among tribes that used longbows (like mine) was the length of the arrow for each individual bowman was measured as follows: The arms are held straight out and clasped together with a long stick held against the chest and clasped in the hands. The length to the end of the middle fingers plus the length of a hand from base of palm to end of middle fingers was the length of the finished arrow from nock to tip of the point. This is how draw length was measured to allow for differences in anatomy of bowmen.

Bows were drawn to the same length each time generally. Form and release are general rules in archery regardless of who's doing it.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2014, 05:26:24 pm »

They also did pretty much what you are doing now.  Asking those who have done this for a while. ;)  It was shared knowledge, among their own tribe and those who were allies.  It shortens the learning curve by asking someone who has already done the trial and error, arrow, ::) thing.  This site is sort of like a tribe.  While there may be different opinions, and even contradictions now and then, you get to choose what works best for you, without going through all the hours of trying this, or that, and having to discard an arrow, after all the work that went into it.  Now you just refine it, instead of tossing it, or save it for someone that can use it, with better results, do to different tackle. or draw, etc.  :)

Wayne

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2014, 05:31:06 pm »
Once you have one arrow that flies well, you just copy it.

If you shoot at really close range and/or shoot really long arrows (like the vast majority of indigenous hunters), the spine doesn't matter.  As long as the arrow doesn't break when you shoot it you're good.

Without modern methods, archers were pretty much flying blind and it would take months of trial and error to find arrow shafts that would work well...  but you've already said that.   :)

Edit:  I had to strike the second comment because I keep forgetting that I used to do this as a kid (shoot really long arrows or at really close range) and it DID matter what the spine was.  Arrows that were too stiff shot like crap.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 05:36:00 pm by jackcrafty »
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Dharma

• Kayenta, AZ
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2014, 05:49:29 pm »
I'm going to share a traditional arrow making medicine among my people. This is how it's done. You have to store the shafts on the skull of a deer for four days. Then after four days, rub cornmeal on the shafts and then smudge them with burning pumpkin skin. You need to be wearing duck feathers in your hair and make sure you've had impure thoughts of a yellowhaired woman. Then the shafts have to be passed over the skin of a skunk. While all this is going on, "We Are Never, Ever Getting Back Together" by Taylor Swift is playing on continual loop on a CD player wrapped in golden buckskin. If you do these things, your arrows will fly straight.

Sorry, NDN humor... ;D
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 05:53:16 pm by Dharma »

Offline Olanigw (Pekane)

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2014, 09:13:53 pm »
I'm going to share a traditional arrow making medicine among my people. This is how it's done. You have to store the shafts on the skull of a deer for four days. Then after four days, rub cornmeal on the shafts and then smudge them with burning pumpkin skin. You need to be wearing duck feathers in your hair and make sure you've had impure thoughts of a yellowhaired woman. Then the shafts have to be passed over the skin of a skunk. While all this is going on, "We Are Never, Ever Getting Back Together" by Taylor Swift is playing on continual loop on a CD player wrapped in golden buckskin. If you do these things, your arrows will fly straight.

Sorry, NDN humor... ;D
Laughed my fool head off.
"Good enough" is the enemy of great
PN501018

Offline munkinstein

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2014, 09:18:48 pm »
Thanks for all the replies, they have been quite useful in my appreciation and understand of primitive arrow making techniques.

I also read somewhere, I think it was vol 2 of TTBB, that many native peoples use longer arrow shafts, could this be because of the increased accuracy that one gets when using a longer shaft?

Also, has anyone tried common ninebark as a shaft material?  We have tons of it here in South-western Ontario. 

Offline Dharma

• Kayenta, AZ
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2014, 09:49:05 pm »
Longer arrows were mostly used with composite arrows using foreshafts. But sometimes arrows were made longer so if the tip broke, the shaft could still be salvaged by cutting back the tip a bit and mounting a new point. I usually make my arrows an inch longer for this reason.

Generally, everything we did prior to "contact" had a valid and/or practical reason, even if it wasn't apparent to Europeans. The spiritual dimension didn't make sense to some people, but it worked for us for thousands of years so we never questioned it and many of us still don't. If burning flat cedar gets rid of negative forces, we don't ask why, we just do it. We don't try to find out a scientific reason, we just know it served us well for thousands of years. If we made longer arrows, it had a purpose rooted in practicality. That being salvaging an arrow that took a long time to make. But take the wheel, for example. Some "experts" think we weren't "advanced" because the thought of inventing the wheel never occurred to us. But we knew about wheels because many of our sacred symbols are wheels. We just didn't see the point in applying that to make a wheel to build carts to lug loads of crap around with us. We didn't complicate our lives with tons of possessions because our civilizations that did that generally collapsed or became problems. There wasn't a whole lot we needed that we couldn't find locally and stuff we traded was pretty portable by foot or canoe. Wealth was measured differently. In my tribe, seashells were wealth.

Information was shared communally because no one had a reason to hide technology from his own tribe. There was no profit motive. So if Red Fox found a better way to make an arrow, he shared that with his people. He didn't hide it thinking he could make arrows and sell them for a lot of money and no one would know his secret. Secrets were reserved for medicine people and one's own personal medicine. Plus, Red Fox knew his own survival depended on everyone else. So if everyone had better arrows, everyone ate better and was better defended.