Author Topic: Couch surfer  (Read 3105 times)

Offline JW_Halverson

Couch surfer
« on: January 06, 2014, 10:52:15 pm »
I don't think we are required to be dog lovers in order to be members of this forum, but it almost seems universal here.  Thanks to all of you that were supportive when I put my last dog down quite some time back.  I was pretty reluctant to get another dog for a number of valid reasons, but I got involved with one this summer.  She was a rescue from Pine Ridge Reservation and was living down at our National American University at the Vet Tech Program.  They were so full of dogs, that they had Lena housed in a 2' x 4' kennel in a hallway. 

This mutt was scared of her own shadow and had no idea how to behave around people.  I started walking her daily and she seemed to begin to enjoy my company, even if I was not allowed to pet her.  We moved up to having her spend afternoons at my house in the backyard running loose.  To her that was a slice of heaven!  Eventually, like I always do, I lost track of time one day and it was obvious that I would not get her back to the college in time, so I called to tell them it was going to be an "overnite" stay. 

You see where this is going, right? 

She is knee high, about 34 lbs.  She has a 27" chest and a 14" waist (A real Barbie dog!).  Her hindquarters have the definite curvature like you see in greyhounds and other sight hounds.  Other than the blaze on her chest, she's pure black, but I doubt there is any black lab in her -- I just don't see it in her personality.  She lives to run and be chased by other dogs.  When they won't oblige, she "heels" them like a classic cattle dog. 

She is still reserved around strangers, but about half the time she will allow a stranger to pet her.  She is just a bit over a year old and still working thru a lot of puppy issues.  The biggest thing I want to teach her is that she is allowed to "do her business" away from home.  She has it in her head that she can only do that at home. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Ifrit617

Re: Couch surfer
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2014, 11:17:52 pm »
great looking dog JW. Good on you to give her all that time and love.

Jon

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2014, 11:40:38 pm »
She'll be your best bud ever. Just give her a little time.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Buffalogobbler

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2014, 09:52:05 am »
Good for you JW, there's nothing like a good dog!

Kevin
Beer is living proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy-Ben Franklin

Offline Stoker

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2014, 10:53:02 am »
Your new best freind
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline chamookman

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2014, 10:57:25 am »
Looks like a "keeper" to Me there J Dub - good save ! I've had a Dog at My side most of My life - be lost without one. Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline paoliguy

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2014, 01:37:25 pm »
Nothing like a rescue dog. Best pets ever! My family's best buddy is a daschund mix that had been abused. You could just tell how grateful she was when we brought her home from the shelter.

I hope your new friend is just a great as ours. From that photo, I have a feeling she will be!

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2014, 05:14:13 pm »
I knew she had you suckered from the first time you mentioned her :)

Offline RyanR

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2014, 06:53:22 pm »
Cute looking dog. Hope it works out for you and the dog. Socialization with people and other dogs may help with her shyness. Just make sure she knows who the pack leader is. That is very important.

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2014, 07:55:00 pm »
i want a puppy but our landlord wont let us have one :(

Offline Cardboard_Duck

• Winter Haven, FL
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2014, 08:23:29 pm »
Sounds like a great companion JW :) Great looking dog, and it sounds like she has a great owner :) All three of our dogs have been rescue dogs and they always seem to turn out to be really good dogs. It hurts my heart to hear some of the stories of their earlier lives...

We just rescued a little pup as well -

We were told that she was part chihuahua and italian greyhound but i'm not so sure :)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 08:30:47 pm by Cardboard_Duck »
>>>---------->

Offline Parnell

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2014, 09:43:19 pm »
Thumbs up, JW.  Makes me happy to read a story like that.
1’—>1’

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2014, 10:32:55 pm »
Birds and pups - you have a big heart!  Nice story.
Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2014, 10:38:48 pm »
Sounds like she decided to go ahead and adopt you JW, no turning back now.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2014, 10:03:16 pm »
I knew she had you suckered from the first time you mentioned her :)

You knew it, she knew it, Dr. Behrens at NAU knew it, my neighbors knew it....how come I was the last to find out anything???

Yesterday morning she ran for the door like usual when we got up, but refused to go out.  She tucked her tail and ran back into her kennel.  It took me a while to coax her out.  I got her calmed down and offered the door again.  Back to the kennel.  So I went outside and walked the yard. NOthing new or unusual, no strange sounds, danged if I could figger it out.  I went back inside and picked her up, carried her outside.  I carried her all around the back yard in my arms to show her nothing was gonna get her.  She did her business in record time and bolted for the door.  She is still nervous about the back yard still, today. Hard saying what spooked her.

I made things up to her with another trip to the dog park today.  She chased and was chased.  She sniffed and was sniffed.  Sticks were chewed, and someone's tennis ball got stolen.  It was a goooood day.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.