Author Topic: Palm Thatching  (Read 2235 times)

Offline PrimitiveTim

Palm Thatching
« on: January 06, 2014, 11:47:14 am »
My friend and I are working on thatching a hut.  I'm really excited about it as this opens up a whole new world for shelters for me.  The method we're using is super solid too!  Anyway, here's a quick preview of what we've got so far.  There will be a how to video in the future

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InuPg35D2rw&feature=c4-overview&list=UU9l4lrfkOEV5iNSju5GxM_g
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline Parnell

Re: Palm Thatching
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2014, 03:53:35 pm »
That was good Tim!  Enjoyed watching your fletching video, also.
1’—>1’

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2014, 04:49:45 pm »
That was good Tim!  Enjoyed watching your fletching video, also.
Thanks!  There will be a full video when it's done showing how it all works... if it turns out well :D
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2014, 11:14:30 am »
I grew up in Savannah and we used to make forts with palm frond thatching. We would stretch chicken wire(not primitive) over a frame and weave the stems of the Saw tooth palmetto fronds in the chicken wire, starting at the bottom and working our way up. If done properly it can be pretty weather proof. 
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC