Author Topic: Rasp  (Read 7716 times)

Offline Traxx

Re: Rasp
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2014, 05:11:11 pm »
Yes Don,
Dean Torges used to sell a handle of sort,that fits on the blunt end of a rasp.

With a little practice,the technique of using the meaty part of your palm and your fingers as a stop control,on the end will work well.When i use my hand on the tang or handle end,i just cup it in my palm.I dont grip it very tight,unless im using it to scoop material in a concentrated area.

This brings up another point i didnt mention.
With a bit of practice,a Farriers rasp is a very versatile tool for bowyery.The small side edge can be used much like a toothing plane for scoring for a gluing surface as well.You have the rough side for hogging,the smooth surface for finer removal,you can shape handles dips ,fades and tips with it and when using the edge and some experimentation and practice,you can use it as a scraper as well.Its all in the stoke length and pressure used.I have made complete bows with nothing more than a Farriers rasp, sandpaper and a pencil for tools.LOL

Its really not that difficult.It sounds much more difficult in print than in person.But then again,ive used one for over 30 years and use it for a living.LOL

Don Case

« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2014, 05:24:30 pm »
Lets put it this way....
I would never hand a brand new Save edge,to an aspiring Farrier as they could easily draw blood with them.

Blood from the horse or the farrier?

Offline Whitebeam

« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2014, 05:52:06 pm »
I paid $60 for mine.

Wow! Just looked them up in the UK. First hit on Google (Atlantic Equine) has them for £17.1 + tax + delivery at cost. £17.1 + tax is 17.1 x 1.2 = £20.52 = $32.83 + delivery. Your $60 vendor saw you coming!

Savedge do handles as well.

Peter

Offline Traxx

« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2014, 05:54:48 pm »
Blood from the horse or the farrier?

Both but my main concern,would be from the Horse.

Aspiring farriers usually havent developed a good eye and feel,for the nippers and their use.They often dont get a very level nip and therefore get the level with a rasp.If they havent developed a feel for the rasp and how much pressure and stroke to use,they can easily hog too much hoof wall and sole off and hit blood and create lameness.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 06:04:40 pm by Traxx »

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2014, 07:40:19 pm »
I don't like handles on my farrier rasps. I like the Nicholson farrier rasps with no tang, just orange rubber on the ends. But I get more use out of my Nicholson 49's and 50's.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Don Case

« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2014, 08:06:17 pm »
I'm going to have to do something. The heel of my thumb falls right on the single cut portion of the fine side and I can feel it trying to slice my hand in tiny little slices. I'm going to get a small bike tube and stretch it over the end to cover that section. I'm only bleeding a bit. It's a badge of honor, kind of like a skateboarder with a cast. It's a workout though, by the time I rough out the bow I'll probably be able to pull it :D

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2014, 08:40:57 pm »
I use a larger bike tire tube that slides over the rasp nicely.  I keep all my rasps protected in bike tire pieces.

I appreciate Clint's detail..................
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline artcher1

« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2014, 09:19:17 pm »
Same here Traxx, I use the farrier's rasp like you described. It's great for leveling the tips for overlays also. Great tool for working on hardwood foots and reducing hardwood shoots arrow shafts.

Don, do a search for a farrier's rasp at Tractor Supply. They sell nice big screw-on handles for the rasps. An Ace bandage wrapped around the other end works great.........Art

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2014, 04:38:35 pm »
I have an old Heller Nucut  farrier's rasp that I had sharpened by the folks at Boggs tool and file sharpening. It, and the other rasps that I sent them, came back very sharp.
Fact is, I'm typing this with a bandage on the base of my left thumb due to a bit of a slip up with a sharp small rasp a little while ago... :(  :-[