Author Topic: Thoughts on notching...  (Read 1686 times)

Offline seminolewind

Thoughts on notching...
« on: December 28, 2013, 09:15:51 am »
Ok...I thought that I would share somewhat of an epiphany that I had today. Notching has always been the bane of my existence, and I mean to tell ya I stall notches like nobody's business! Today I picked up a thin biface determined to make some notches worthy of a calf creek and found something interesting.

I found that it helped a lot bring the ledge up inside the notch all the way level to the outside surface of the biface. I would do this till this edge was very steep almost vertical. When I flipped the point over I carefully put quite a but of pressure on this steep "platform" inside the notch and popped as big of a thinning flake as I could. Once again I would bring the edge all the way up to the surface, flip and do it all over. I actually got some nice deep notches going !

This sounds simple now but from my experience in the past if I didn't bring that notch all the way to the surface the size of the thinning flake would be smaller and eventually lead to a stalled notch with no where for the tool to bite on to.

Hope it helps knapp on !!!

Seminolewind...out.
"Those that beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not." Thomas Jefferson

Elijah,
Tampa, FL.

Offline Trapper Rob

Re: Thoughts on notching...
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2013, 02:10:34 pm »
Elijah wheres the pics. of the point.

Offline seminolewind

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2013, 02:23:36 pm »
Didn't make a point just made a bunch of notches in a preform. Just practicing
"Those that beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not." Thomas Jefferson

Elijah,
Tampa, FL.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2013, 04:49:32 pm »
Sounds like your on track
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 10:15:11 am by iowabow »
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline papoints

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2013, 09:38:19 am »
I agree with you that notching is the bane of my existence as well.  I have tried every single different tool I can think of but you can't replace a thin area to notch and a stout sharp tool.  You definitely won't notch through any lumps.....    I tend to stall mine when I am trying to raise the platform as you have described.  I nibble away at it and the next thing you know it is rounded and stalled.  Oh, and I tend to twist the tool and send ears flying :).

Offline seminolewind

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2013, 10:40:46 am »
I agree with you that notching is the bane of my existence as well.  I have tried every single different tool I can think of but you can't replace a thin area to notch and a stout sharp tool.  You definitely won't notch through any lumps.....    I tend to stall mine when I am trying to raise the platform as you have described.  I nibble away at it and the next thing you know it is rounded and stalled.  Oh, and I tend to twist the tool and send ears flying :).

Notching is just a plain ol pain in the ass !!!

Elijah,
Tampa, FL.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2013, 06:30:21 pm »
Would you like to see a short video on notching that Matt and I shot for ya on notching?

Offline seminolewind

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2013, 01:26:03 am »
Hell yes

Elijah,
Tampa, FL.

Offline StevenT

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2013, 11:06:47 am »
I think one of the best tips I have picked up on notching is to make sure you square the corners of the notch before you flip it over. As you say, raising the platform up is another excellent tip.

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2013, 03:56:24 pm »
Would you like to see a short video on notching that Matt and I shot for ya on notching?

Yes Please!

:)

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline iowabow

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2013, 03:58:51 pm »

Yes Please!

:)

-gus
Gus I posted it on a new post also I posted a pressure flaking demo for simple flake points.