Author Topic: Sealing with spar urethane?  (Read 3736 times)

Offline Ink

• Jason Chollett
Sealing with spar urethane?
« on: December 24, 2013, 06:42:25 pm »
Quick question. I have noticed by watching these forums that some of you use a dip tube for sealing your bows. Was wondering how you keep your urethane from getting really bad runs? If your thinning it, please do tell the proper way to mix it. I'll probably be using Helmsman spar urethane. I'm familiar with a lot of the other technics such as brushing it on, spraying it on, or just using oils to seal. Was wanting to give the dipping technique a try. Any tips are appreciated.
Chew Motrin, drink water, drive on

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Sealing with spar urethane?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2013, 08:30:58 pm »
No thinning. Dip half the bow and hang it for 3-4 days, then dip the other half. It will run right off the tips and you wont have runs anywhere else on the bow. Dunk it slowly so you don't create bubbles and pull it out even slower.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Ink

• Jason Chollett
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2013, 08:41:17 pm »
That sums it up then, thanks pearldrums
Chew Motrin, drink water, drive on

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2013, 08:43:10 pm »
My only gripe about dip sealing. You cant use it fast enough and it goes bad in a few months. But Ive dipped 20-30 bows and I like the finish. Its especially nice on sinewed bows.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2013, 09:48:13 pm »
Another gripe I might have is it would be very difficult to dip recurves, unless you have a huge dip tube. 

Maybe a dumb question, but,  Pearl, you don't dip recurves ...do you??  I imagine the dipping a bow similar to an arrow.  :-\

Thanks
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2013, 10:36:26 pm »
I've dipped arrows in water based poly. I did thin with a little water first.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2013, 12:07:53 am »
On the subject of dipping arrows, I made an accidental discovery on my last batch of cane arrows I made.  When I seal them I stand them up on finish nails sticking out of a scrap piece of wood so they can drip dry.  After I sealed one of them I found that I didn't drill out the center enough and it wouldn't fit over the nail.  I tried to drill it out but it slipped out of my hand the spun on the drill bit.  All of the excess polyurethane flew off of the spinning shaft and left a very nice run free finish.  Next time I do that I'm either going to do it outside or make something out of 4" PVC to catch all the flying polyurethane.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2013, 08:53:25 am »
Another gripe I might have is it would be very difficult to dip recurves, unless you have a huge dip tube. 

Maybe a dumb question, but,  Pearl, you don't dip recurves ...do you??  I imagine the dipping a bow similar to an arrow.  :-\

Thanks
DBar

I do. I use a 4" pipe. I use small statics on my recurves so they fit nicely. Dipping arrows is the way to go. One dip and your done.