Author Topic: Need a little help  (Read 6315 times)

blackhawk

Re: Need a little help
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2014, 01:22:52 pm »
I ain't no pro like James,but this is how I do my glue ups most the time...I always end up just using what I got and making it work,and that's good enough for me ;) ...here's one I started from scratch and finished over Thanksgiving weekend that I haven't posted yet..its just a simple tri lam...if your worried about the handle flexing during glue up and changing shape from being perfectly in plane straight you can clamp the handle section like this to a  board(shims in between clamps of course to not crush the backer,and to distribute better even pressure thru the handle area for tight glue lines in the handle area where it isn't inner tube wrapped)....altho no handle was glued on this one you get the point,and I did it because I wanted that area flat and straight ;) hope this helps someone ?  ???

blackhawk

« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2014, 01:29:32 pm »
Here's a sneak peak of that bow....need to get some pics n post this thing already...maybe today or tomorrow?  ???  ::)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2014, 01:32:54 pm »
Same exact way I do it, with the riser glued on.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2014, 01:45:22 pm »
Sounds like you got a good plan of attack there pat!

I've got a 3/4" lemonwood board I can't decide what to do with maybe I'll take the longbow route:)
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2014, 04:15:29 pm »
James, tell Luke hey for me and to not be a stranger. He's just lucky it was my car he passed out in. Someone else could have taken advantage of the situation and of him.  ;)  He's too tall for me.  ;D
  I'm curious to see how this lemonwood works. So far its doing just fine. Thanks again for the lemonwood stave. Tell Becca hey for me.
Bryce, when James gave me the stave I knew I wanted to make a classic style bow being that lemonwood was a standard bow wood during the rebirth of archery in America. What better bow choice than a good old American Longbow, the standard of that time.
  I went with Pearlie's suggestion and glued the riser to the lemonwood belly this morning and have it in the hot box now. Next I'll add the hickory backing with about 3/4" of reflex...on a set up like yours Chris. I stopped by a local bike shop and got a trashed tire tube.  Using what you got and making it work is how I've always done things too. Being poor does have it's advantages!  ;) 
I'm using Urac for everything. Gluing the riser first is how I used to do it but it had been so long my mind went blank. Trying to get the riser cut to match the curvature of the bow well enough for a glue joint would have been a nightmare for me. This kind of stuff is where my woodworking skills lack.
 Anyway, I'm committed (or should be  ::) ) now so it is what it is.

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2014, 04:29:52 pm »
Im excited to see it Pat! I need to try some lemonwood for the same reason you did, history.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2014, 04:38:42 pm »
Im excited to see it Pat! I need to try some lemonwood for the same reason you did, history.

Bingo!
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2014, 08:56:19 pm »
Another great thread Pat. Can't hardly wait to see the pics.

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2014, 11:18:14 pm »
I'll get some pics posted tomorrow.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2014, 12:17:53 pm »
I think I'll start a new post for this bow.