Author Topic: Some failure mechanics of Ironwood (hop-hornbeam)  (Read 3338 times)

Offline half eye

Some failure mechanics of Ironwood (hop-hornbeam)
« on: January 13, 2014, 12:21:06 pm »
Hey fellas,
      was roughing out some sticks today and had an Ironwood stave that had a little funus problem dead center. So I though I would bend it to failure and take some pics. Think of it as a visual of the failure mechanics, I guess.
      The first one is the original failure which did not occure until the limbs was damned near to touching.....and even then it did not "explode" just sort of gently folded....
      Second and third are pics of the same piece that I pulled off, and then bent them till they broke.....one was a "counter-flex" and the other was bending to the belly.

What struck me was the tenacity of the wood, even though this was not full strength wood. Hope this may help some of you that wondered about it.....picture is worth a thousand words,eh >:D
rich

Mod's feel free to move if ya want this someplace else.
rich

Offline Slackbunny

Re: Some failure mechanics of Ironwood (hop-hornbeam)
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 12:28:24 pm »
HHB is tough stuff. Sometimes you need to bend a piece completely over before it will break.

Offline rps3

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2014, 02:03:17 pm »
I have had more hhb bows break on me than any other wood, it is definetly my Achilles heal.

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2014, 02:18:46 pm »
I have had more hhb bows break on me than any other wood, it is definetly my Achilles heal.

Hmm, I've had quite the opposite experience with it. I've found that instead of breaking it will just take massive set. I wonder if there are regional differences, or maybe different sub-species that show different characteristics. Maybe you've just had bad luck with the staves you've acquired.

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2014, 02:25:30 pm »
My favorite white wood.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline half eye

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2014, 02:29:28 pm »
All I was trying to do here is let everybody "see" how the Ironwood "let-go".....the manner of it. Not trying to comment on it's suitability ( even though I personally love the stuff) The way it broke indicated to me that the stuff really try's to stay together, and that @ break resembled the other
, which I believe shows pretty even consistency. Just hoped to get some use out of a piece that's headed for the smoker >:D
rich

Offline Ed Brooks

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2014, 02:36:41 pm »
I see the same break with Ocean Spray.
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline half eye

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2014, 02:44:03 pm »
Now that's good to know. Never worked with the wood but what I see posted it's damned fine bow wood.
rich

Offline rps3

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2014, 05:30:46 pm »
From what has been shown around here, I am sure iron wood is suitable for bow wood, I am just not yet suited for iron wood. Going to keep working on it though, I have one roughed out now ready to start bending.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2014, 05:31:56 pm »
From your standing dead batch Rich?
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline half eye

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2014, 05:51:03 pm »
yes this was some standing dead.
rich

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2014, 05:58:44 pm »
All I was trying to do here is let everybody "see" how the Ironwood "let-go".....the manner of it. Not trying to comment on it's suitability ( even though I personally love the stuff) The way it broke indicated to me that the stuff really try's to stay together, and that @ break resembled the other
, which I believe shows pretty even consistency. Just hoped to get some use out of a piece that's headed for the smoker >:D
rich
That is about how honeysuckle breaks. at least the stuff big enough to make a bow.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"