Author Topic: Resharpening bandsaw blades?  (Read 1362 times)

Offline toomanyknots

Resharpening bandsaw blades?
« on: December 16, 2013, 06:12:56 pm »
Well I bought a woodslicer blade recently that is just not wanting to give me a decent quality cut. Usually it will be almost glue up quality, this blade just ain't wanting to do it. I have finally decided it is the blade, as I can take my new woodslicer off and put on my old woodslicer (same exact spec blades) and get a perfect cut after finding the drift and setting my fence accordingly. If I try the same with the new woodslicer blade, it will be rough, and not near the quality of my old blade. So I am surrendering after a week of trying to make this blade work, and sending it back to highland woodworking, so they can send me another one. I'm not sure what is wrong with it, I just know it ain't like the old one, and I know it ain't me or my bandsaw, because I can easily get a good cut with the old blade after a quick set up to accommodate for the drift.  Anyway, I was thinking, my old blade cuts a real good quality, but it is just duller than heck. Do any of you ever sharpen your own bandsaw blades? If I try, is there a good chance I will screw up the quality of cut? It smokes now pretty much no matter what it is so dull.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline Badger

Re: Resharpening bandsaw blades?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2013, 07:30:42 pm »
  Chris, I sharpen mine twice if it is 3 or 4 tooth. I just use a 3/16 or smaller dremmel stone and touch the underside of each tooth. maube 1/2 second per tooth. Usually takes me about 10 min to do a blade. I just hold my dremmel at 90 degrees to the blade instead of adjusting for the off set angle on each tooth. Most always they come out better than new.

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2013, 10:14:00 pm »
  Chris, I sharpen mine twice if it is 3 or 4 tooth. I just use a 3/16 or smaller dremmel stone and touch the underside of each tooth. maube 1/2 second per tooth. Usually takes me about 10 min to do a blade. I just hold my dremmel at 90 degrees to the blade instead of adjusting for the off set angle on each tooth. Most always they come out better than new.

Thanks Steve! Sounds promising, I just went out and bought a cheapo dremel on sale at menards for like 15 bucks and a couple dremel stones. About to give it a try. (BTW, this is actually Daniel Tidwell, I actually sold you some osage staves a couple years back, I don't know who Chris is, haha). Thank you though, the woodslicer is I think a 3 tooth or so, so hopefully it will turn out ok. I tell you though, I don't think I could of made it duller, after having it running through an ipe block and trying to turn dowels out on it, it is like cutting wood with a butter knife.

Offline Badger

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2013, 10:57:01 pm »
  I get you and Blackhawk mixed up all the time. I have a problem connecting names to handles.

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2013, 11:55:03 pm »
  I get you and Blackhawk mixed up all the time. I have a problem connecting names to handles.

Lol, I do the same thing. Well I guess I should of practiced on a different blade before I tried to sharpen it, didn't turn out too well. Cuts wavy now sort of, don't think I did it much help, haha.