Author Topic: Opinions on the Shawnee painted bow's wood type...  (Read 3760 times)

Offline Parnell

Opinions on the Shawnee painted bow's wood type...
« on: December 12, 2013, 12:58:21 pm »
You know that Shawnee bow shown on the front of the N.A. Encyclopedia...the one with the red and blue painted hooks?
The description inside says "small diameter whitewood bow with growth ring followed" type of description.  What whitewood do you think would have used for this sucker?  I just don't think it's hickory.  An elm?

It's a longer design at almost 70 inches and I've always thought it has an interesting cross section.  Anybody want to chime in here?

Got a family member in Ohio that bought a farm bordering some prime hunting area.  Thought it might be a nice project to have there for longevity.
1’—>1’

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
Re: Opinions on the Shawnee painted bow's wood type...
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2013, 01:35:18 pm »
Maple?
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline half eye

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2013, 02:04:22 pm »
Mr. Parnell,
       The Shawnee were close confederates of the Ottawa, Chippewa and Potowattomii, which doesn't say crap about the wood. I have talked with Tribal Elders here abouts though and can tell you that "traditionally" The Ottawa preferred white Ash and only "occasionally the red cedar". While the Chippewa said that tradionally their preference was for ironwood and only rarely hickory.
       I believe that if you use white ash, ironwood (hop-hornbeam) or any of the several hickories you wont be very far off. I know that Algonquian speaking nations clear out to Idaho (Bunji) used white ash if they could get it, or hickory if they could not.
      Hope that helps you some. You may want to remember that nothing with Native Americans was wrote in stone, meaning that if a presentation bow was made for a warrior (for example) it could be made out of any "special" and costly wood the maker could get. Meaning there is a possibility it could be any white wood at all, if it was a special bow.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2013, 02:11:01 pm »
Good points made, Rich.  I suppose I should be wondering what wood performs the best holding to the whitewood idea in a small diameter tree to give the cross section shown.  HHB may be a good choice.  I suppose good ole Hickory would do the job as well.

Hmmm, just got me thinking is all.  I'd love to get that profile/section.
1’—>1’

Offline PatM

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2013, 03:07:15 pm »
Not having my copy of the book close at hand, what is the basic cross section?

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2013, 08:26:19 pm »
I have no idea which wood type would be appropriate but would like to see your replica when finished. Would you make it with the deflexed tips as shown?  I'm curious as to how that would shoot. Its a somewhat unique looking bow and would be a cool build if you do it.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline WhitefeatherFout

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2013, 08:45:06 pm »
I'm not sure of the type of wood in the particular bow you are describing.  I grew up and live and work in southern Ohio.  Chillicothe area to be precise.  I'm not 100% sure of any particular wood that was predominantly used.  I've tried to and am researching it currently.  The Chillicothe area has a good mix of hardwoods.  Hickory, maple, ash, hackberry and to some extent elm are all very prevalent.  There is also some ironwood and other species mixed in.  Oaks are abundant.  Certain areas offer Osage but i suspect most of that came from settlers.  there are plenty of other species around but as far as bow woods go I would assume hickory, ash, elm and possibly hackberry were used.  Oh, and locust. Matt

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2013, 12:33:30 am »
When I look at most NA "whitewood" bows up close, the wood does not have open pores (open grain).  This rules out oak, ash, hickory, and others.  My guess would be Hophornbeam, maple, or one of the other closed grain woods.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Parnell

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2013, 10:08:29 am »
Patrick, that's good information, thanks for chiming in.

WFO, very interesting.  I read a book called 'The Frontiersmen' that is historical fiction, I suppose.  It tells the story of Chillicothe.  Must be an interesting area to live in.  Thanks.

Hmm, hornbeam or maple...
1’—>1’

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2013, 07:18:57 pm »
Small diameter HHB without a medley of branches are nearly impossible to find.  Once they get up to about 3" in diameter then they start to have clear boles.  Small diameter Elm on the other hand are often clean of branches
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Parnell

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2013, 11:36:22 am »
K.  Elm.   Thoughts on the deflex?
1’—>1’

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2013, 06:33:26 pm »
  IN THE PERIOD OF EASTERN WOOD LAND. Almost all eastern tribes use HICKORY, ELM AND IRON WOOD. Because of its avalablity.
  My friend CROOKET ARROW was IROQUOIS he old me they prefered HICKORY. then IRONWOOD.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING