Author Topic: Primitive Dyes  (Read 2299 times)

Don Case

Primitive Dyes
« on: December 04, 2013, 04:35:17 pm »
I was thinking I could make natural dyes by soaking various things in alcohol. To keep from re-inventing the wheel has this been hashed over already? I did a search and didn't come up with much.
Don

Offline thomas h

Re: Primitive Dyes
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2013, 08:51:40 pm »
http ://p ioneerthinking.com/crafts/natural-dyes
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 08:38:39 am by Pappy »

Offline Wylden Freeborne

• This Is Primal War
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2013, 07:24:49 am »
What do you plan to dye? My wife is a natural dyer and uses all sorts of plants and mushrooms to make amazing creations, all of which, so far, are textiles. Her experiments are really panning out though and she is gaining a firm grasp of the art and skill. Her eis her blog where she explains a few things: http://www.fairopheliadesigns.blogspot.com
"The end of the human race will be that it will eventually die of civilization." Emerson

Don Case

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2013, 01:36:25 pm »
I was planning to use it on bows. Most natural dyes fade in the sun(I think) so that might be a prob. Thanks for the link, I'll take a look.
Don

Offline Wylden Freeborne

• This Is Primal War
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2013, 05:24:15 am »
So far as wood stains, while it is not primitive, steel wool scraps soaked in apple cider vinegar makes a nice deep brown.
"The end of the human race will be that it will eventually die of civilization." Emerson

Don Case

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2013, 12:50:01 pm »
I did a more in-depth search and got a few hits. The steel wool/vinegar was the most popular and also the one I already knew about. It looks like you can use just about anything to get the colour, it's fixing it and making it colorfast that takes the knowledge. I'll keep poking around.
Thanks
Don

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2013, 10:39:33 pm »
Steel wool and vinegar is more than a simple dye, it's pigmented and won't fade.

If you make the bow from osage or mulberry and leave it where the sun can get to it, it will stain itself!  I love the color of old osage.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.