Author Topic: Alabama Peidmont Quartz Question  (Read 1084 times)

Offline jmc

Alabama Peidmont Quartz Question
« on: November 22, 2013, 04:49:00 pm »
We have some of the quartz around the farm in Coosa County.  I am interested in doing a little knapping and have read some about heat treating the stone but haven't found any guide lines of temperatures and timelines for this particular material.  Does anyone here have any resources i could check?  I would be willing to do a little experimentation if that is what i need to do.
jm

Offline caveman2533

• Steve Nissly
Re: Alabama Peidmont Quartz Question
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2013, 08:45:22 pm »
You will likely not have any luck heat treating quartz.  Is it in cobble form or plates or chunks. Cobbles are often a good source of quartz. But you are choosing one of the most frustrating materials to ever be worked. Quartz is often just full of shattered material. it is generally very hard to find quartz that is not just full of cracks and shattered.  Not very many people choose quartz because of it.  Quartzite on the other hand can be very knappable.

Offline jmc

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2013, 10:45:30 pm »
Thanks,
What i have found has been chunk.  The reason i thought it might be usable is i have identified several locations where the indians,(Choctaw) in that area camped and there are or were mounds of fragments including broken points.  I may not be clear about the differance between quartz and quartzite.  i would assume cobbles would more likely be found in the stream beads. i imagine my ignorance is shining quite brightley about now.
jm

Offline caveman2533

• Steve Nissly
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2013, 12:02:41 am »
Quartzite is basically fine sand that is cemented together, Quarts is usually white.  Quartz can be worked but it is sometimes an exercise in frustration.  Don't worry about your lack of knowledge, we were all there once.   Cobbles can sometimes have more solid material in them.

Offline jmc

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2013, 07:36:22 am »
Thanks, I will continue to study

You All Have a Great Weekend and Thanksgiving Week

jm