Author Topic: A newbie's perspective (Now with video!)  (Read 8527 times)

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: A newbie's perspective (update!)
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2013, 12:24:03 pm »
I got skunked today.  Saw three nice does but not in a decent range so I didn't take the shot.  But I know the area in which the feed and next time I might take one.

Sounds like a great day!

Skunked is when you don't even get OUT!  That's what really stinks!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: A newbie's perspective (Now with video!)
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2013, 01:42:39 pm »
The older I get the more I fall into JW`s philosophy. It took me a while to get there though! 

I truly hope you both get a chance to let the string go at least once. Its indescribable.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Mike_H

« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2013, 02:54:51 pm »
Went out again yesterday, should have known I would have seen nothing.  Two joggers scared off all the deer!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2013, 03:15:34 pm »
Keep going Mike. Ive bow hunted hard for over 20 years now and the best way to get a deer is to get your butt out there, period. If you keep at it you WILL get your chance. Nature rewards those that work hard. Its been proven too many times over.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Mike_H

« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2013, 07:05:14 pm »
Keep going Mike. Ive bow hunted hard for over 20 years now and the best way to get a deer is to get your butt out there, period. If you keep at it you WILL get your chance. Nature rewards those that work hard. Its been proven too many times over.

Thanks for the encouragement.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2013, 09:57:29 am »
  DON'T HUNT RIGHT ON THE FOOD SCORCE. Most deer wont get to the food to after dark.

Follow the trails back to their bedding area.

Then set up between bedding and food scorce.

Alway use the wind to your favor going in and while there. If the deer smell you at all go home.

Set up as close to the bedding area as to can. This way you'll see a lot more deer.  If you don't by the time the deer get to their food scorce it's after dark.

I know you can't do it this year but next year do your scouting after this season. THIS WAY YOUR AREA NOT BURNED OUT COME NEXT SEASON.
  NEXT SEASON WHEN THE TIME AND WINDS RIGHT GO TO THAT STAND.

Worse ting you can do is after hunting going looking around.

Other wise leave it alone.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Mike_H

« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2013, 02:07:42 pm »
Thanks for the advice Crooketarrow.

Offline Mike_H

« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2013, 09:44:00 am »
One more hunt for me before the end of the year I think.  Going out tomarrow with my brother.  Wish me luck.

Offline RyanR

« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2013, 10:30:59 am »
Good luck, if you are seeing deer that's a good thing. Lots of guys around here aren't seeing much.  The deer are just fun to watch. ;)

Offline Mike_H

« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2013, 05:53:18 pm »
Been a bad year so far in MO.  Not sure what's going on.

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2013, 07:01:31 pm »
Mike, the blue tongue did a number on our deer herd last yr here in Mo... Think ive seen a total of 5 does and 1 buck this yr thus far.. It will get better tho.... Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline Mike_H

« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2013, 10:01:22 pm »
Mike, the blue tongue did a number on our deer herd last yr here in Mo... Think ive seen a total of 5 does and 1 buck this yr thus far.. It will get better tho.... Brian

I've seen three does my first day out.  Hopefully those does will still be out there tomorrow.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 04:14:11 pm by Mike_H »

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2013, 08:49:22 am »
EHD, similar to Blue Tongue, ravaged my area two summers ago. This season we really felt it. Summer of 2012 we lost about 50-60% of our herd. Then from Sept 20 - Jan 1 we hunted them through all the seasons. This year we where left with the remnants and a small handful of new fawns from this spring, which was the first fawning season since the die off.

Offline Mike_H

« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2013, 04:17:20 pm »
Came close this time.  My brother had one comming towards used when a blasted conttontail got a hair up its butt and spooked the deer!  Might go  out one more time with my brother before the end of the season.  Bit we; know where to go now.  A ton of trails, sign and food.  It's a real good spot that just isn't hunted.