Author Topic: Trapping season ia finally here!  (Read 2008 times)

Offline mcginnis6010

Trapping season ia finally here!
« on: November 15, 2013, 09:01:48 am »
Well i set some leg hold out yesterday evening and went to check them this morning and i didnt have anything in my traps (not that i expected it on the first day) and got to the last one only to discover my trap was missing and there wasnt any sign of an animal being caught. No tracks, feces nor was was there a trap circle. I dont like to think the worst of people but i think i may have a trap thief on my hands as this has happened to me before in the area i trap. Im pretty frustrated about it.
Once a soldier always a soldier. Hoooah!

Offline Trapper Rob

Re: Trapping season ia finally here!
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2013, 09:46:52 pm »
I have the same problem in about 1 week I had 1 trap taken 3 coon & 2 fox.

Offline chamookman

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2013, 04:07:16 am »
"Johnny Sneakum" has always been a problem - sorry to hear of Your losses this season so far. With the high Fur prices this Year, it could be a BIG problem. God I hate Thieves !!!!!!!! Good luck - Bob.
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2013, 08:15:26 am »
Mcginnis, here is a little something to get your juices flowing, I was doing pretty good on the fur then we got a real cold snap an froze hard an pretty much shut me down this week. Good Luck and may your traps be full. Bob

Offline RyanR

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2013, 07:35:53 pm »
I wonder if someones dog got in it.  I was checking a trap a couple years ago and after awhile I realized it was gone.  I would check it from a short distance so I didn't notice anything until I walked up closer.  I saw big dog tracks, human tracks and my trap was gone. No sign of a struggle.  Here is a picture of one I picked up Monday.  If you look closely you can see snow flakes falling. You will also see several catch rings. This spot has been good to me and its only 100 yards from my mailbox. I think he will be a new quiver.

Offline predatorcaller

• life is short-enjoy it
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2013, 07:45:56 am »
Set a few coon sets and picked up a few.Our rat season opens Sat. here in Pa. but I,ll be in Maine on a job for the next 10 days.Work has been slow so I gotta take it.On a good note were headed to Sitka,Alaska at the end of Jan. for 2 weeks to trap marten.Really looking forward to that trip.Good luck on the line and hopefully prices hold good for this year.I averaged $15.50 on my rats last year at NAFA.Have a fantastic day!!!!!!!!!Lloyd

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2013, 12:39:02 pm »
Put a trail camera near a set and see if any humans are checking them....hide it good
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline mcginnis6010

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2013, 01:29:05 pm »
well figured out what happened finally. the land I trap is 108 acres of woods and field but it butts up to a mobile home community and someone had let their dog run loose and it got caught so the owner found the dog and trap and they tossed the trap in the trash. I was quite upset about this as it wasn't on their property and the should've had their dog on a leash. They also removed a LEGALLY set trap that was properly tagged. So now the landowner has revoked my rights to trap his land in fear of legal action to him should something like this happen again even though I told him according to state law he is not held liable because it was on his land and he does not charge me to hunt or trap his land. so my season is looking like it may be over before it has really began.

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2013, 08:09:13 pm »
Sorry to here about the way things turned out. :( Bob

Offline Mike Joe

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2013, 01:11:01 am »
Man, I'm sorry to hear that.  :( Good luck, and hopefully there will be tight chains in your future.
"Son, we don't really care how it looks, We want it to work." - John McPherson

Offline chamookman

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2013, 05:18:47 am »
Sorry to hear that Brother. Sucks that Your pursuit of Fur is lost because of fear in this "Sue Happy" World We now live in  :o. Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline mcginnis6010

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2013, 08:36:43 am »
Yea i would trap the nat,l forest but too mant people hunt and trap there. Been putting iut some feelers to local farmers and land owners. So far nothing though.  :-\