Author Topic: Reducing string follow  (Read 9454 times)

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: Reducing string follow
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2013, 09:42:31 am »
Basically, under 2 in of set is fine.
I have a plan for determining if the stave is ready to be strung. You can read about it on a build along on my site. The plan involves making sure the stave is reduced enough in potential draw weight to be strung...say 10-15 lbs over draw weight wanted.
If you make bows from white woods this us important.
The "floor tiller and slap a string on it"  bowyers above are all accomplished and can sense when the stave is ready. Not so with beginners.
You do not gave to follow my method. Having a bow around of similar draw weights to check the feel of it's floor tiller would help.
Anyway, I am presently on an Ipad and am typing with one finger or I would type out my method. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2013, 09:45:57 am »
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Badger

« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2013, 10:09:45 am »
  I agree with Jawge that floor tillering and slapping on a string is for the more experienced. A good method for knowing when you are 10# overweight is good to have.

Offline OsageWhisper

« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2013, 10:42:23 am »
Thanks all for the great information. I will try to get pictures of my bows to give you a better idea. I agree that I need a bit more seasoning to develop the feel of what I am supposed to look for while floor tillering. I have been using a tillering tree to get the bow tillered.

Offline bushboy

« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2013, 11:23:12 am »
if you try to keep the inner limbs from taking to much set it will go a long way.
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.