Author Topic: Repairing a limb on selfbow?  (Read 1832 times)

Offline snag

Repairing a limb on selfbow?
« on: November 13, 2013, 11:58:42 am »
I built a yew wood longbow during a John Strunk clinic. It has been a great shooting bow. I really love shooting it even though it is made from some marginal wood. It has a lot of woodpecker damage to it.  One of the areas where the wood has darkened (under the sap wood) it seems there is some grain lifting very slightly. It is on the edge/belly above the fades by about 4" or 5".  I was wondering how you guys do repairs by wrapping it?  What do you wrap it with? Do you saturate the string(?) with super glue? Braided fishing line? Just trying to save this bow. I appreciate your help.
David
Is. 49:2 ....He made me a polished arrow and concealed me in His quiver.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Repairing a limb on selfbow?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2013, 12:27:04 pm »
Those look like compression fractures snag. Looks like that area dipped too low and it working too hard. A wrap of hemp and glue might stiffen it up enough to carry on.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline snag

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2013, 12:31:13 pm »
No compression fractures Pearl. That is what it looked like before I started making it into a bow. John said they were woodpecker damaged areas.  I'll try the hemp and glue. Thanks, David

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2013, 12:39:31 pm »
Maybe Im not seeing what your pointing out. I can see faint "cracks" in the finish around those dark spots. Or maybe I cant see them!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline snag

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2013, 01:13:16 pm »
Sorry, I'll have to take closer/better pics of the area tonight.