Author Topic: Sinew on a mollegabet?  (Read 2604 times)

Offline kevinsmith5

Sinew on a mollegabet?
« on: November 13, 2013, 09:33:10 pm »
So in looking at applications of sinew on bows I was wondering if anyone had ever sinew end a mollegabet? It seems like on some of the mollies with reflexed levers I've seen that you're well on your way to a static recurve and some sinew on the working part of the limb would be of benefit (but as a total newbie to sinew I might be totally wrong on that).

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Sinew on a mollegabet?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2013, 10:22:59 pm »
I am theorizing that a wood with poor tension qualities and good compression would certainly benefit from it. 

To my eye, the short working limbs really bend a lot on a molle and I have wondered the same thing.  Prolly would have tried it, but that transition from thin and wide working limb to skinny nonworking levers has always put me off.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2013, 11:30:38 pm »
well wouldn't the sinew be more effective because its being moved a lot less from starting position when you shoot, plus the weight of the sinew would be less problematic because the tips and outer half of the bow would be still just as light. Is there something to this?
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline PatM

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2013, 11:37:52 pm »
It's been done.  A Mollegebet is just a zero angle static. 

Offline Badger

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2013, 12:21:49 am »
     Sinew takes a lot of the pressure off the belly fibers of the wood, unlike a wood back sinew will stretch about 10 times more than wood will stretch. The nuetral plane is allowed to move closer to the belly and away from the back. Thats why it works best with horn is because the horn is so strong it forces the sinew to stretch before it compreses too much. It would help hold a molly together as it would any bow style but probably would not contribute all that much as it wouldn't get a chance to really be worked.

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2013, 12:40:47 pm »
im waiting for a stave to dry then im going to make a sinew backed belly tempered belly ash bend through the handle molle curve (say that five times fast lol) .

blackhawk

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2013, 12:51:34 pm »
Out of all the lever bows I've made I have never sinewed one...if you want to I'd suggest loading it up with 5"+ of reflex/starting setback to start with before tillering,n obviously don't make it too long otherwise the sinew isn't needed.....I've always wanted to try a sinewed one, but I can make a great one without all that time n work invested into a sinewed bow that will still hammer an arrow just as well without the sinew

Offline kevinsmith5

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2013, 08:53:56 pm »
im waiting for a stave to dry then im going to make a sinew backed belly tempered belly ash bend through the handle molle curve (say that five times fast lol) .

I don't think I can say that ONCE slowly...