Author Topic: Need wood ID  (Read 4449 times)

Trapper

Need wood ID
« on: December 29, 2007, 04:12:54 pm »
Guys I was at a place the other day that had a brand new rail fence around it, The guys there said that it was cedar , but it looked just like Yew too me and I was wondering if there is a cedar that looks exactly like yew?     Trapper

nvstickbow

Re: Need wood ID
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2007, 06:00:48 pm »
Not sure where you are located but juniper is sometimes referred to as mountain cedar.  Looks similar to yew.  It is actually in the same family.

wvfknapper

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2007, 06:22:41 pm »
Trapper

A lot of the rail fence around here is Western red Cedar,,, Looked at some in Lowes , first thing I thought was Bow Staves  :o But the wood seemed really light and extremely dry so I dont know,,, Maybe a sinew backed Bow ??

wvflintknapper

Trapper

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2007, 08:16:36 pm »
Well Ive used both Juniper and western red cedar, and eastern red cedar , and Ive built bows from yew, and this wood looks like yew, so I dont know maybe I can get some more answers on this question, I hope.    Trapper

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2007, 04:40:03 pm »
Joe, it could possibly be POC or even yew I guess. Don't know why they would sell yew as fence rails. It could even be an exotic wood from elsewhere.  Got any pics to show us the staves?     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Trapper

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2007, 06:18:19 am »
No Not yet Pat, but Im fixing too buy a couple I think, and see what it does, Sure looks like it too me. But as soon as I get a stave of it I will take picks too show.    Trapper

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2007, 09:23:04 am »
Joe
Northern White Cedar looks a bit like Yew in color. Very soft wood though. How dense was this wood?
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2007, 11:06:37 am »
Doesn't Western cedar look a lot like yew?  That is what our local lumber place carries for split-rail fencing.  There's quite a bit of variation in the look of wood, I don't know how you'd tell for sure.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Trapper

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2007, 03:33:21 pm »
Well I guess the best thing too do is too buy some and see what happens HUH? I wont know for sure until then so I will keep you all posted on how it goes OK?   One rail is 9.00. so I wouldnt be losing much if it isnt yew, but it looks too me like it.  Thanks guys for the info.      Trapper