Author Topic: 45# ELB dimmensions?  (Read 9475 times)

Offline Buckeye Guy

Re: 45# ELB dimmensions?
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2013, 04:58:41 pm »
Youngster
You show signs of improvement!

Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline adb

« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2013, 10:17:06 pm »
Seriously?? I am going to buy some from him and have heard amazing things from people about him.  How are they poorly seasoned? How low is the gpi? He has a bunch of different quality woods. Did you buy something bad quality an not the best?

At best, it's a Russian Roulette.  He charges premium money for "staves" that he cut himself.  He's not a bowyer, he supplies medicine wood (taxus from yew being cancer drugs) and probably realised there are people who will pay through the teeth for some "premium" yew.  Go for it if you want, but it's a heck of a lottery.  I've been stung a couple of times by him, and learned my lesson hard.

I agree. I've had bad luck buying from him.

Offline kevinsmith5

« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2013, 12:20:00 am »
How dense does the unknown wood seems? More or less than mahogany? How hard? I've had people look at my straight grained ipe and ask if its mahogany (personally I don't see the resemblance but I've had actual wood workers ask so guess some do).

Offline twilightandmist

• My Etsy Shop:
« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2013, 12:38:17 am »
have you considered trying the "tiny bow" test? where you make a miniature version of the full size bow? its a very good way to test the properties of an unknown wood without putting too much effort into a full sized bow.
My Longbow in one hand, My Colt 1860 Army in the other, and both feet in the past.

Offline BowSlayer

« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2013, 04:43:43 am »
How dense does the unknown wood seems? More or less than mahogany? How hard? I've had people look at my straight grained ipe and ask if its mahogany (personally I don't see the resemblance but I've had actual wood workers ask so guess some do).

it has fairly thick growth rings about 8 Rpi and that seems about the same.

have you considered trying the "tiny bow" test? where you make a miniature version of the full size bow? its a very good way to test the properties of an unknown wood without putting too much effort into a full sized bow.

no never tried that how small should the bow be?
London, England.

45#@28"

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2013, 12:00:17 am »
Doesn't really matter how small, just make it proportional.  Do it 1/3 or 1/4 the size. Adjust ALL your measurments accordingly.

Offline Badger

« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2013, 01:00:35 am »
 One thing about making an elb is that you are locked into certain parameters of a ratio width to thickness. If you want the bow 72" long just make it 1 1/8 wide. If it has too much mass at that length jst make the tiller more elyptical, f it is a very light wood like say cherry make the tiller rounder or full circle tiller. You can rough the bow out till it is bending pretty good but still heavy and then decide on the tiller you need based on the mass weight of the bow. for 72" long and 45#@28 you should use a full circle tiller between about 12 to 14 oz mass weight, a slightly elyptical tiller betwen 14 and 17 and very elyptical 17 to 19 oz.

mikekeswick

« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2013, 05:49:10 am »
SAPELE - Entandrophragma cylindricum

Offline BowSlayer

« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2013, 07:24:40 pm »
SAPELE - Entandrophragma cylindricum

Does it make a bow?
London, England.

45#@28"

mikekeswick

« Reply #39 on: November 09, 2013, 05:06:09 am »
Dude! What did I just say in my last post!!! Have you got selective reading abilities!
Sorry not meaning to be rude......but seriously go cut a hardwood tree that will definately make a bow. There is so much potential bow wood growing in this country....forget laminating woods you can't even identify.
That's my last piece of advice until you start reading/listening.
Good luck

Offline BowSlayer

« Reply #40 on: November 09, 2013, 05:10:11 am »
Dude! What did I just say in my last post!!! Have you got selective reading abilities!
Sorry not meaning to be rude......but seriously go cut a hardwood tree that will definately make a bow. There is so much potential bow wood growing in this country....forget laminating woods you can't even identify.
That's my last piece of advice until you start reading/listening.
Good luck

oh yeah sorry bout that :P got alot on my mind right now :laugh:
London, England.

45#@28"

Offline dwardo

« Reply #41 on: November 11, 2013, 07:22:07 am »
Look for wasteland where saplings have shot up. Scrub woodland often needs pruning to "increase biodiversity" ;)
Hazel, ash, elm, cherry, even goat willow at a push and birch.

Offline BowSlayer

« Reply #42 on: November 11, 2013, 08:21:23 pm »
Look for wasteland where saplings have shot up. Scrub woodland often needs pruning to "increase biodiversity" ;)
Hazel, ash, elm, cherry, even goat willow at a push and birch.

Oll have a look around.  Thanks
London, England.

45#@28"