Author Topic: Squirrel recipe  (Read 2151 times)

Offline RyanR

Squirrel recipe
« on: November 08, 2013, 07:01:12 pm »
I was looking for a good squirrel recipe possiblly a soup or stew.

Offline bubby

Re: Squirrel recipe
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2013, 08:00:14 pm »
I've only had it fryed or baked like rabbit
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Rick Wallace

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2013, 08:04:15 pm »
Use any beef stew recipie its all good,or Put them in the crock pot with very little water,cook till done,make a pot of roux (gravy) then dump them in there.  Makes your tounge beat your brains out tryin to get enough!  Keep the spices simple   Salt pepper garlic.  :)
U.S.ARMY '86-'91  East Milton Fl.   Dont take yourself to seriously,,No one else does

Offline RyanR

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2013, 08:51:07 pm »
Use any beef stew recipie its all good,or Put them in the crock pot with very little water,cook till done,make a pot of roux (gravy) then dump them in there.  Makes your tounge beat your brains out tryin to get enough!  Keep the spices simple   Salt pepper garlic.  :)
Everything is good with gravy. LOL.   I could add the mashed potatoes also.

Offline adb

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2013, 10:08:33 pm »
I can't believe you guys eat tree rats. Yuck.

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2013, 12:35:34 am »
I can't believe you guys eat tree rats. Yuck.

What's yuck about it ??  ???
I like osage

Offline chamookman

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2013, 04:04:30 am »
Par-boil in some water with onion and Lea&Perrin added till fork tender. Then a quick sauté in butter and served with some fried 'Taters - MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2013, 09:18:45 am »
I like em quartered and fried like chicken... Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline wildman

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2013, 02:49:24 pm »
I just slow boiled some then shredded likr chiken chili it was a hit!
" Society your crazy greed , hope your not lonely without me"

-Eddie Vedder-

Offline Poggins

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2013, 06:04:16 pm »
Been a few years since I've had squarel , we would fry the younger ones like chicken and the older ones we would boil them till tender then add to dumplings , squarel version of chicken dumplings .
I think the last one I got was so old and tough we boiled him all day and he was still tough as boot leather , the broth still went good with the dumplings though .
I may have to introduce one to the blunt end of a 3030 shell if it comes by the blind .

Offline Poggins

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2013, 06:13:32 pm »
Oh , and I prefer to think of them as tree rabbits .

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2013, 06:25:53 pm »
Cut squirrel in quarters, flour and season and fry up in shallow lard or your favorite oil just like you would chicken.
Prepare wild and long grain rice cooked almost done.
Finely chop up scallions or 1 small onion, 3-4 potatoes, 3-4 carrots. When finished browning the squirrel remove pieces from skillet and set aside. Add vegetables to oil and saute over med/low heat until partially cooked.
Combine 1 can cream of mushroom soup, 1 can cream chicken mushroom soup and 1/4 cup apple cider and mix well.
Combine all ingredients together except the meat and mix.
Now in a dutch oven or large casserole dish lay the squirrel on bottom and add all other ingredients on top.
Cover and bake at 350 for 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Remove cover to help brown the top. Cheese can be layered or added during this time. Enjoy!!!
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2013, 08:31:10 pm »
 I usually kill 50 or 60 a season. I save them all and pressure cook it till the meat will pull off of the bones. After I separate the meat I mix it up like you would Tuna fish salad for sandwich's. Then I put it in Zip Locks or Tupperware and freeze it. Whenever I go hunting or camping, archery shoot I just grab a pack and have sandwich filler .
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?