Author Topic: Hickory Knot  (Read 1248 times)

Offline SamIAm

Hickory Knot
« on: November 03, 2013, 12:25:57 pm »
I cut a 4-5 inch hickory tree a couple of days ago and split it and this is what I found, a mess.  This ugly looking knot will be right in the middle of one of the limbs.  If I cut the knot off, the stave would be about 50 inches.  What could be done with a 50 inch stave and what would the longest draw length you would want to attempt?  Or is there any chance that the knot could be left in.  I know that's probably a stupid question.  Thanks.
"To thine own self be true,
And it must follow, as the night the day,
Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Offline dbb

Re: Hickory Knot
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2013, 12:40:12 pm »
My guess is that when you have reduced the stave to bowdimensions that knot will be gone.
Choose style of the bow so you can lay it out in the best way possible.
It's better to ask and look like a fool than not to ask and remain one...

Offline VicNova

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2013, 01:28:40 pm »
I would just go ahead and make a bow out of it regardless of the knot. I made a 45# hickory bow with a big not like that and  it is still shooting fine to this day.
Ypsilanti,  Michigan

Offline SamIAm

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2013, 05:22:11 pm »
Thanks guys, I'll give it a try.
"To thine own self be true,
And it must follow, as the night the day,
Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2013, 05:13:20 pm »
My first bow ever was made of Pignut Hickory and had a pair of knots in her limbs.  I arranged it so each was the same distance from the tips, (about 10 inches in on each limb), she's still shooting well.  I wrapped each with B-50 in a little puddle of quikset epoxy.  She's named "Knaughty Gurl".  She's knot the best bow I ever made, but she was my first, so she'll always be special.

OneBow