Author Topic: Farrier's Rasp  (Read 6238 times)

Offline Eric Garza

Re: Farrier's Rasp
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2013, 06:04:25 pm »
not sure where you are located, Fleet Farm is where i get mine. It is Nicholson and it is double sided with both ends rounded (no tang) which i like better.

This is the same Nicholson I have, and I love the rounded edges too. Great for clamping a stave in a pair of portable vises and using two hands for control and leverage. I've used a few other farrier's rasps, and I've given or traded all the rest away and have only kept my Nicholson's.

Offline RyanR

« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2013, 06:45:31 pm »
Thanks guys, I have a Nicolson on the way.

Offline Lefty8917

« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2013, 06:52:15 pm »
I purchased mine from tractor supply. Brand name is diamond and it has served me well

Offline Traxx

« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2013, 01:50:06 am »
Ive tried em all and the Save edge is the best made.I use em every day.

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2013, 02:28:07 am »
I've never used a farriers rasp I always use my surform rasp or what ever it's called it gets the job done but I do want to try a ferriers rasp
I like osage

Offline killir duck

• i like elk
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2013, 01:16:59 pm »
my dad is a professional farrier he says he's tried them all but nothing compares to a belotta, I have forged knives out of lot's of rasps and I can tell you too that the belottas make way better knives then Nicholson or save edge.
PRIMITIVE ARCHERY what other way can you play with sticks and rocks all day and not look like a little kid

Every time i shoot at a bunny i recall the wise words of Elmer Fudd "I've got you now you waskally wabbit!"

Offline Traxx

« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2013, 09:48:24 pm »
For forgework,you may be right,but for farrier work and for hoggin wood off,the Save edge gets the nod from me after the 32 yrs i have been useing a rasp,in the Farrier field.

Offline horsetime

« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2013, 11:08:05 pm »
A farrier supply store will sell new rasps in all sorts of price ranges and you might be able to get a used one as well.  Generally a rasp that is dull enough for a farrier is sharp enough for someone who doesn't know what they're doing!  My farrier gives his rasps away when he's done with them and they start out life very expensive and end life as sharp enough that we can't do any damage.