Author Topic: Trees from clean up  (Read 1751 times)

Offline silverfox

• Ohio Subscription #108669
Trees from clean up
« on: October 27, 2013, 01:55:13 am »
A buddy told me that his Grandpa had a dozer in to clean up his fence rows and some small areas. If he remembered right, he thought there was some small osage, hickory, and oak trees cleared off these areas. He said they didn't cut them down, they pushed them over and then pushed them up into a couple piles. The tress have been piled up for 3 or 4 years.   I didn't know if they would dry properly like this or not.  My questions is, would these logs and limbs still be good to cut and split into staves?
New to all of this primitive stuff. Just taking it all in, and learning every time I come here.

Subscription # 108669

Offline huisme

• I'm Marc, but not that Marc.
Re: Trees from clean up
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2013, 02:03:23 am »
Only way I know to tell for sure is to try to cut and split them into staves  ;)
50#@26"
Black locust. Black locust everywhere.
Mollegabets all day long.
Might as well make them short, save some wood to keep warm.

Offline Weylin

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2013, 04:38:55 am »
The osage is worth checking out for sure. I wouldn't touch the whitewoods though. They're likely to have decayed.

Offline J05H

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2013, 04:42:13 am »
IMO the hickory and oak are questionable but the osage should be fine. Its very rot resistant. It may have some wood borers though. Like Huisme said, only one way to find out. :)
If you never have time to do it right, you'll always have time to do it over.

Offline J05H

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2013, 04:43:37 am »
Oops, Weylin beat me to it.
If you never have time to do it right, you'll always have time to do it over.

Offline Poggins

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2013, 01:57:08 pm »
I've cut osage out of dozer piles several times , some had set for over five years and most of the other wood had rotted away . You may have to plan your splits and there will be more waist but its worth it .

Offline silverfox

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2013, 12:07:02 am »
 We are going to go next weekend and look at the wood. I have no experience with staves, I have only worked on board bows so far. I know the only way to tell the condition is to cut into it. I was just wondering if wood that lay out and dried like that, laying on the ground with the bark still on. If the wood  would still have the spring to make a good bow. Thank you to everyone that took their time to reply, the people on this site are awesome.
New to all of this primitive stuff. Just taking it all in, and learning every time I come here.

Subscription # 108669

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2013, 01:13:44 am »
Only the osage would be suitable for bows. Be careful in the push-up because some of the wood could be in tension from when they were pushed up.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 02:29:21 pm by Pat B »
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Poggins

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2013, 10:18:12 am »
When you cut the logs cut them longer than you normally would , if there are any cracks in one end of the log and not the other then you can cut the extra length off that end .
Another thing to watch out for is cracks between the growth rings , the dozer may have twisted the trees when they were pushed up , you may not see them till you split the logs or start working on a bow .

Offline silverfox

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2013, 01:09:45 am »
We went today to see about cutting some staves from the piles. Someone had come in sometime in the last few months and cut the trees up for fire wood. The trees was in a remote location, far off the road. My buddies Grandpa didn't know who did it, as he hadn't gave anyone permission to cut the stuff up. Thank you to everyone who responded and gave advice.

Subscription # 108669