Author Topic: Skin Odors  (Read 2933 times)

Offline PrimitiveTim

Skin Odors
« on: October 31, 2013, 02:27:19 pm »
When you skin something is it normal for it to retain a certain amount of odor?  My skins don't smell terrible but they don't smell that good either.  Is there something y'all do to your skins to eliminate the odor?  Maybe I haven't acquired a primitive nose or something....
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Skin Odors
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2013, 04:02:19 pm »
Are you talking snake skins, Tim? If so I wash snake skins with Dawn dishsoap and warm water to remove any fat or oils that may be on them before using for bow backings. You might try that. If you are planning to use them for something else just tack it back up to dry again.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2013, 05:59:32 pm »
Snakes I don't worry about. The smells goes away after they have dried awhile. Skins like otters and other animals that have greasey fat I wash in acetone or white gas, (Coleman fuel), rinse with water and then wash in Dawn deterngent. that will get rid of almost all of the ransid grease smell.

Okay,,now everybody can come on and let me know how bad the gas wash is :D 
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline mcginnis6010

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2013, 07:01:01 pm »
I just use a good was in lukewarm water and dawn soap.
Once a soldier always a soldier. Hoooah!

Offline bubby

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2013, 08:06:26 pm »
Snakes I don't worry about. The smells goes away after they have dried awhile. Skins like otters and other animals that have greasey fat I wash in acetone or white gas, (Coleman fuel), rinse with water and then wash in Dawn deterngent. that will get rid of almost all of the ransid grease smell.

Okay,,now everybody can come on and let me know how bad the gas wash is :D

hey whatever work's
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline wildman

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2013, 08:21:09 pm »
+1 on white gas only thing I have found to get grease out of coon and bear hides.
" Society your crazy greed , hope your not lonely without me"

-Eddie Vedder-

Offline sonny

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2013, 09:03:28 pm »
A buddy gave me a dried otter hide (which I made into a quiver.) I washed it in the creek with lye soap,
which worked great for getting the fish smell out of it.
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline 4dog

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2013, 09:55:33 am »
if your using that otter quiver for hunting ,wouldnt a lil fishy smell hide your smell a little.. just sayin,never smell dawn in the woods.
"SET" is always there !!!

Offline sonny

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2013, 08:06:39 pm »
I don't remember ever smelling fish in the woods either  :D

truth is that the fish smell was BAD! so bad that I wouldn't put the rawhide in my truck but hauled it home
in the toolbox.
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline 4dog

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2013, 08:53:05 pm »
lol was just being funny,, but you were funnier,, gave me a mental pic...thanks!
"SET" is always there !!!

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2013, 09:18:25 am »
+ 1 on the use of white gas on furs.Dawn soap is right up there too.I made myself a tumbler with cob grit in it to degrease put up coon years ago that did a good job but that alone won't get rid of the animal smell.Usually by the time a person gets done tanning a fur hide most of the smell has diminished though all of the steps etc.Dried snake skins I just wipe with alcohol to be sure there is no grease or oil to compromise the glue.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed