Author Topic: Fun With Slate  (Read 5241 times)

Offline Atlatlista

Fun With Slate
« on: October 23, 2013, 12:36:27 am »
I tried my hand at slate grinding the last few days. 

Day 1, an attempt at a "harpoon point" (my first ever slate anything):

Day 2, an attempt at an arrow head:

Day 3, some further refinements:

So men who are free
Love the old yew tree
And the land where the yew tree grows.

Offline Buck67

Re: Fun With Slate
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2013, 11:02:27 am »
I found these pictures of 5,400 year old slate points while noodling around yesterday.  They look to be very effective.  Slate is relatively brittle and the conventional arrowhead design might not stand up well to shooting.  These ancient arrowheads look to be designed around the limitations of the material.

http://sciencenordic.com/glacier-reveals-5400-year-old-stone-age-arrow

Offline Atlatlista

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2013, 12:02:07 pm »
Slate is brittle, but the ones I made designed for use are actually perfectly serviceable.  I've tested them, and they're more robust than you might expect.  The design you point to is very interesting as I was planning to make several of those today, as they are also found in Japanese yayoi contexts at Zasshonokuma.  In other places where slate was used for arrows and harpoons, the design is much more of a simple triangle.
So men who are free
Love the old yew tree

Offline CherokeeKC

• PM108323
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2013, 01:07:24 am »
Those look cool!  I have always wanted to try slate out
Aim Small...Hit Small

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2013, 03:00:23 pm »
  That was really cool site BUCK thanks.

The third deer I shot with a self bow was a doe I shot with a filed slate piont.
  A 12 yard shot hit a rib still went to the feathers. I still have that broken head.

I'm sure the stone age peoples used what they had avalible and slates easy to work but theres alot better rock out there than slate.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2013, 07:53:30 pm »
I've made several points out of slate along with a few Ulu's. It gets sharp and is not that brittle. The Inuiits used it forever. If you want something a little more durable, make some points out of Jade, it's big, and stronger cousin.

Those are some beautifull looking points you made and I wouldn't hesitate to hunt with them.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Atlatlista

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2013, 04:11:10 pm »
I've made several points out of slate along with a few Ulu's. It gets sharp and is not that brittle. The Inuiits used it forever. If you want something a little more durable, make some points out of Jade, it's big, and stronger cousin.

Those are some beautifull looking points you made and I wouldn't hesitate to hunt with them.

I really want to work with jade at some point.  Have you made any jade points?  Can you really use the same technique of grinding on sandstone with water as lubricant?  I'd be a bit worried as jade is so much harder and tougher.  Maybe get a dremel tool to work it?
So men who are free
Love the old yew tree

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2013, 05:52:29 pm »
Yes, you can grind Jade the same way. It just takes a little more work. I'd forget about the Dremel, though, it's a little bit more work for my Diamond wheels.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline Buck67

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2013, 02:32:42 pm »
My neighbor has some slate roofing shingles in a stack in his backyard.  I may get one from him and try making an arrowhead or two.  Roofing slate is typically about a 1/4" thick.  I wonder how well it stands up to use as a field point into a soft target.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2013, 06:07:37 pm »
 I've made a lot of tools from Pool Table slate.  Also, Jade will grind nicer, not easier by hand with water. You have to be carefull on Diamond wheels with it getting too hot and breaking. But, it will get very sharp and is tougher then slate.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline Buck67

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2013, 06:23:32 pm »
There is a health issue with dust from grinding slate.  I recommend doing it outside and with a dust mask on if you are going to use power tools.

Offline Atlatlista

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2013, 11:03:12 pm »
I grind slate on wet sandstone, so there is no dust.  But yes, if there is dust, it's not good.
So men who are free
Love the old yew tree

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2013, 04:50:12 pm »
There is a health issue with dust from grinding slate.  I recommend doing it outside and with a dust mask on if you are going to use power tools.

And my wife won't let me grind it in the house ::)
Lakeland, Florida

Offline Atlatlista

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2013, 05:13:13 pm »

And my wife won't let me grind it in the house ::)

Makes it a pain when it's snowing like it was when I was trying to grind those Zasshonokuma points the other day.
So men who are free
Love the old yew tree